4. ECHOES OF CHANGE

Avya

It was the beginning of the end.

Especially when he applied the red vermillion on my head, with auspicious thread of marriage tied around my neck.
We walked around the Agni, every mantra chanted bringing us closer to being married.
And finally, as everyone showered the rice and petals, giving their blessings, the ceremony ended.

It was fast paced, yet the seconds ticked off at painstakingly slow rate.

Every now and then I would touch my wrist out of habit, but today it was out of nervousness.

All my life I had always known what was coming, at least I had a vague idea what to expect, but life's an unpredictable bitch and she just threw me a curve ball I would never have seen coming, not three months ago and definitely not five years back.

How far I have grown out of the girl with dimpled smiles and hearty laughs. A girl with heart full of love and mind full of dreams.

I can't remember the last time I smiled, laughed, yes, every now and then I kept laughing at my life, but smiles those have been rare, rare? Call it non-existent at this point.

I remembered the last time, I genuinely was laughing and smiling, with my bestfriends, it was years ago.

My bestfriends, a past I better leave alone, for it was one of the many experiences in life which taught me never to expect too much from people, for expectation often leads to disappointments.

But despite the bad past,
I wished I could smile and laugh with both of them again, a genuine one, the one free from all the burden.

I glanced at the man beside me, Hridhaan Singhania, he has been real quite since the ceremony had began, not a taunt, not even a smirk.

So I was right, Hridaan Singhania wasn't a big fan of words, but when he did speak, he made sure he was heard, loud and clear.

The events from yesterday made me shake my head, yeah it's better if he doesn't speak.

My gaze settled across the room, my parents, his father, grandmother and few guests where present.

I didn't paid much attention to anyone, my head was already throbbing, I haven't eaten anything from morning, and the various thoughts that accompanied me since yesterday just made me want to puke.

My stomach wasn't upset but the nerves where getting the best of me.
I need to get my feelings under control.

Think Avya, this is not the time to loosen your hold and stand back while fate plays it's part.
It's time to rein back the threads of destiny and stir it in your favor as much as you can.

__________________________

I kept my eyes on the Full moon as it moved with me, it was so beautiful and bright today.
The trees passing by, the silent night, added to my jittery nerves.

The anticipation about what was going to happen was eating me alive from inside.

The car slowed down as we entered the gates, my eyes widening looking at the now magnificent mansion in front.

After the ceremony, Hridaan almost disappeared, stars knows where and I didn't bother to look for him, the farther the devil, the better for me.

But even his grandmother and father didn't bother to check, he just vanished and I didn't even see him as I climbed into the car as we went on the way to the mansion.

So it was just Tara Singhania, me and the driver in the car.

And as expected grandma Singhania didn't bother to speak to me, she avoided me to such an extent that I'm pretty sure she has convinced herself that I didn't exist.