Chapter 19.

"I was being so ungrateful and thought my life was bad..." Safa Muhammad, Gravity.

Chapter 19.

☻Safa Muhammad ☻

He kept his gaze low in the most modest way possible. I stared at him and waited for him to talk. He was taking an unusually long time.

"Um... about earlier. I-I am sorry," he said. I looked at him with a confused look. What happened earlier? But I didn't want to keep the conversation going so I just said "It's OK."

He looked at me and then quickly walked away. I closed my bedroom door and sat down on my bed. Why did he apologize? Then it hit me. He was talking about the tea incident.

Well, I thought. That was nice of him. I went back to my book and after a short while, fell asleep.

The next morning, I woke up by someone aggressively knocking on my door. I immediately got up and opened the door. It was Haneen. She looked scared.

"Safa," she said in the most terrifying voice.

"What happened? Is everything ok?" I asked her, my heartbeat faster than usual.

"Yeah," she said. Her face suddenly calmed down.

"Everyone is calling you down for breakfast. Chop! Chop!" she said. I stared at her.

"Why all that chaos then?!" I shouted at her.

"To get you up and running! It worked, didn't it?" she smiled as she flipped her hair back. "You're very welcome," she said.

I tried to calm down and not boil up inside. Me boiling up right now meant Haneen ending up in the hospital emergency.

I took a deep breath. "Why would you do that to get me up and running? Anything else would have sufficed," I said.

"I know. I thought this would be more fun and intense. Now hurry up and get your... well, legs downstairs. Ta-Ta!" she said and gracefully walked out my room. I ran a hand through my long hair and closed my bedroom door. Well she was right. I wasn't feeling sleepy anymore but instead, a little fresh and active then when I usually wake up. I made my bed and took a quick shower, before changing into my traditional clothing. I put my hair up in a ponytail and walked down the stairs, where everyone was having breakfast.

After breakfast, Haneen and I left for our weekly trip at the library. Zahra wanted to tag along but according to mom, she still had a long list of chores to complete.

"Where are you guys going?" Omar's brother Zayan asked.

"We go to the library each week for some community work. It's kind of our thing," Haneen told him.

"Well you guys are such good girls," he said with a playful smile. I rolled my eyes and went outside and waited for Haneen to finish her conversation and join me.

After a minute, Haneen came outside with her book bag. She sat down in the passenger seat and put on her seat belt.

"Why is Zayan so friendly?" I asked her. I was irritated that just like Omar, Zayan was turning out to be annoying too.

"He's really nice," she said, not looking at me.

I saw something suspicious in her expressions.

"Hold on a minute," I said. "Is there something going on that I should know about?"

"Safa drive!" she commanded.

"Not until you tell me what's going on," I asked her, a playful smile on my lips.