Chapter 26.

"Did you ask her what happened or are you just shouting at us because you haven't eaten anything?" Hafsa, Gravity.

Chapter 26.

~ Haneen Muhammad ~

I had turned my phone off so that no one bothers me. But in reality, I had turned it off to stay away from disappointment. What if no one notices I am missing and doesn't call? I will be too depressed to live. I didn't want that to happen so I turned my phone off. After arriving at Meena's apartment, we talked for a few hours but then she went to sleep. I, of course, couldn't. I sat in her living staring out the window.

"What if they did call? Try and open your phone. You gotta be strong Hanee," Meena said as she handed me a peanut butter toast the next morning at breakfast.

I shook my head. "It's too risky. I'll wait for a few more hours. I need this space. Please don't force me," I told her and she nodded.

"Not gonna force you to call but I'll definitely force you to eat so... EAT!" she mocked. I laughed sadly.

"Haneen," she placed her hand on my shoulder. "I know you miss your family. Please call them."

"Of course I miss them but I need to stay away so they appreciate my existence," I explained to her. She sighed.

"I always did say I never understand you. Today is totally one of those days," she said teasingly and I laughed again.

"Can I ask you something?" she said. I nodded since my mouth was full of my toast bite.

"Why did this Zayan care so much about you to make you feel special?" she winked teasingly.

"What?" I said.

"Oh come on. Don't act like you don't understand!" she lightly punched me on the arm.

"What's the case here miss?" she elbowed me teasingly. I rolled my eyes.

"Nothing. I have only known him for a few months. No case," I assured her.

"Exactly. That's what has kept me thinking. A guy who's only known you for a few months felt the need to come talk to you, alone, just so you would stop blaming yourself and feel better? This just doesn't add up. No one can read your eyes unless they focus too much on you," she finished.

"Meena!" I scolded her playfully.

She laughed. "What? Look all I'm saying is that if a guy did that for me, I would marry him right there! Then! Just like hello please read my nikkah here. Yeah no mahr. Just love," she turned into the kind of Meena I had known. I laughed out loud.

"I hope someone does that to you. It'll be fun to watch you force a guy into marriage," I told her and we both laughed.

"But consider what I said Haneen. You don't find guys like that every day," she suddenly turned serious.

I rolled my eyes again.

"I am here to not talk about them. Please. Stop talking about them," I told her.

"I think you should talk about 'him.' He took his time out to make you feel better. Who does that? Think about it," she gave me a meaningful look.

I stayed quiet for a few minutes.

She was right. Zayan actually thought it was important for me to be better. He wanted me to be better. He wanted me to feel special. He did that all just so I could have a better day. Every girl dreams of a guy who can make them feel special.