Chapter 16.

"I'll try." – Omar Zohair, Gravity.

Chapter 16.

☮ Omar Zohair ☮

I woke up that evening from a small nap. The house was unusually quiet so I got up and walked outside my room. I could hear no one talking.

"Mama?" I said as I looked for her. I knew she would be here because Zayan and Baba weren't home. I walked in the kitchen, the living room, the backyard but she was nowhere to be found.

"Mama?" I said again. I knocked on her room door but she didn't answer.

"Mama?"

I was starting to get worried. I looked everywhere but I didn't find my mama. I looked outside and saw that her car wasn't there either. A little relieved, I dialed her phone. After a few rings, it went to voicemail. I kept dialing and it kept taking me to her voicemail. My heart beat was faster than usual and I was walking in circles, as I kept dialing her phone.

Asr time ended and soon it was time for maghrib, but mama was still not home. I couldn't sit back anymore so I decided to take a drive and see if I could find her anywhere. Usually mama would never leave without telling anyone who was in the house. I drove around my neighborhood, a few grocery stores, and the nearby park, but I couldn't find her or her car. I decided to drive back home.

As I made a turn on my street, I saw her car parked on our driveway. I sigh of relief escaped my lips as I pulled up. I entered the house and there she was, eyebrows furrowed and talking on the phone. She hung up when she saw me.

"Omar, where were you? I was so worried!" she spoke. I hugged her.

"I went to look for you. I was worried about you. Why didn't you tell me before you left?" I said. She looked down.

"I thought you wouldn't care," she spoke in a low voice. I felt heartbroken. I had hurt her so much that she thought I didn't care about her anymore. I bent down on my knees.

"Mama I am so sorry for using such harsh tone and language with you. I didn't mean to hurt your feelings. The devil had somehow gotten control over me and I coudn't think on my own. I am so sorry mama. Please forgive me. I will never do this again. I should've understood your situation. I'm ok with living so far away but I just want you to be happy," I finished. She smiled.

"I knew you would say all this. I was waiting. You know what that proves?" she asked. I smiled.

"That I already knew you didn't mean it. I knew it wasn't my Omar shouting or being aggressive. There was definitely an evil power taking over you. You're the sweetest man Omar, and I want you to prove this to Safa as well," she said. I smiled and nodded.

"I'll try," was all I could say.

15 minutes later, it was time for maghrib so I went upstairs and prayed. After maghrib prayers, I came downstairs and had dinner with the family. Ramadan was starting in 2 days and so the whole kitchen was filled with endless boxes of dates, fruits, and juices.

______

Ramadan started and in the blink of an eye, the first ten days had already passed. I was done with my classes and was just waiting for my exam result now. I needed to pass these with the best I could since I was graduating this year.

On the 15th of Ramadan, Zayan came in with mail in his hands.

"Guess what came in the mail?" he said as he held up a khaki envelope. I looked at him.