Ch 18 - Final Confrontation

"Legolas?" a well-loved voice filled with tender concern broke through the haze surrounding the young prince's mind. "Legolas?"

A gentle hand caressed the child's bruised cheek, easing away the traces of dried blood clinging to the side of his face tenderly.

Legolas tried to blink the familiar face into focus, unwilling to trust his blurry vision. "A-Ada?" his voice was a quiet whisper.

Thranduil enfolded the bloody child immediately into a strong, comforting embrace, his heart breaking at the lost, hurting look upon his son's dazed features. Legolas' face was deadly pale and Thranduil was frightened that at first the boy had not even seemed to recognize him.

Legolas trembled in Thranduil's arms like a new leaf shaking in the wind as relief overtook him. "Ada..." the word turned into a small sob. He had thought he would never see his father again. He had truly thought he was going to die.

"Yes, Legolas, it is I, it's all right, you are safe now, you are safe my little leaf," Thranduil assured, holding the boy close and stroking the back of Legolas' head. "Oh Legolas..."

Thranduil held the boy tightly. When the three young elves crashed out of the trees into his search party, he had been summoned quickly. When he saw Legolas, faint and pleading with the soldiers whom he obviously could not recognize were trying to help him, Thranduil thought he must be dreaming.

"I was so afraid ion-nín, so afraid I had lost you," he murmured, his voice thick with emotion. Once he was over his initial shock, the Elvenking quickly eased up his hold on Legolas' bleeding back, realizing he must be hurting the young elf. Legolas however, had barely even noticed. He let his father hold him, he *needed* his father to hold him.

The prince sighed, wrapping his arms around his father's waist and letting Thranduil's encompassing love wash away some of the shuddering hurt and horror from his injured body. "I thought you did too," Legolas whispered back, his small hands wrapping tightly in the soft folds of his father's tunic. "Is Nana all right?"

"Yes, child, she is fine, although she will be much better when she knows you are safe!" Thranduil smiled, pushing Legolas back a little and cupping his son's face again, brushing his fingers gently through the young elf's badly tangled hair. He was still trying to assure himself that this was real. "But how did you get here Legolas? What miracle has brought you running safe into my arms again?"

Legolas smiled wearily, his eyes searching the crowd for his friends. "Raniean and Trelan, they rescued me." The prince frowned slightly. "They won't be in trouble for leaving on their own, will they?"

Thranduil followed Legolas' gaze to where the two elflings in question were standing not far away, watching the reunion with quiet smiles. Randomir had been summoned from the head of the column and was now standing behind them with one hand on each young shoulder.

"No, Legolas," Thranduil shook his head, smiling at the two young elves. "They won't be in any trouble. Rather, they shall have my never-ending gratitude. This is a tale I would hear!"

Before much more could be said however, there was a commotion in the trees behind them. Several scouts came rushing up to report to Thranduil, dropping respectfully on one knee before rising again.

"Your highness, we encountered some of Doriflen's troops in the woods! They avoided a confrontation, but did not withdraw. There are more massing beyond the river bank. A great number it seems and more are on their way, we are not sure from whence they are all coming."

"Highness, Doriflen's hidden stronghold is not far from here," Raniean informed with a bow. "It is where we found Prince Legolas. We were pursued and I fear there are more in the woods that have been summoned."