Chapter 32: Should I stay or should I go

Song of the chapter: Should I Stay or Should I Go by The Clash 

Dean was looking at Anna with an upset look at his face and his arms crossed on his chest in the middle of Bobby's study. Anna was standing at the door scared to move. This had been the way ever since she had stepped into the house twenty minutes ago. She didn't think she had even said hello before Dean had started to yell at her. She, of course, deserved all of that yelling but now the past five minutes had been just him staring at her.

Sam was sitting on the couch trying to calm Dean down but their older brother was upset. It was this moment when Anna realized that it would never be the same with him ever again. Dean would always hold this against her. To her surprise, he seemed to be more upset about her leaving them than the fact that she was a witch. He had yelled about it too but mostly it had been him ranting how Anna had left them just when they had needed her the most. It hurt to hear but she knew it was true. She had left her brothers down.

Another surprise Anna had gotten when she got back was that Bobby was in a wheelchair. She had almost gotten a heart attack when he had wheeled in the room with the chair. Apparently, he had been possessed by a demon and during that chaos he had been shot in the leg and he had lost the ability to walk. Not even Sam had mentioned anything about it when they had seen each other few days ago which made Anna feel betrayed but on the other hand, she couldn't blame anyone but herself. It had been her who had decided to go, there was no responsibility on Bobby's side to keep her updated on what was happening in his life.

"So, you left because Castiel said you might be a witch," Dean suddenly said making Anna flinch. His voice was serious but he sounded like he was only repeating what he had heard from Sam, not blaming her for now.

Anna nodded. "I went to Ireland to see Caoimhe Devaney who helped me to learn more about myself and my mother."

"See, this is the part I don't get," Dean said sounding upset again. "Why didn't you come to me first? I was there!"

"And you would have done what? Your brother was in detox from demon blood and your adoptive sister comes to you saying that she's probably a witch, what would have you done?" Anna challenged him. "There's no way you would have taken it well. I'm a witch, Dean. A witch that you are supposed to kill. How could I come to you when I was scared that you might as well kill me?"

Dean's eyes widened. "Is that what you think of me, Anna? That I would kill my own sister?"

Anna shrugged not knowing what to say because that has been exactly what she had thought for a moment when she had first found out. She had believed that Dean would either kill her or not want to see her ever again and honestly, to Anna they were both the same thing.

"You are right, I would have not taken it well but I could never kill you," Dean said his voice suddenly softened a bit. "From what Sam told me, you have tried to learn about this... stuff. Have you learn anything where you came from?"

Anna was shocked by the turn of the situation. Why did Dean suddenly seem like he was accepting the situation? That wasn't the Dean she knew. The Dean she had known for her whole life would have thrown this whole upside down because he was angry. He would have maybe even punched her as that was what he did to Sam sometimes when he was angry with him. So, why was he suddenly acting this way? Was this just calm before the storm or was Dean so tired of everything that he didn't want to get so angry anymore? Anna didn't know which one would be better.

"Yes, I followed Caoimhe's instructions to New Orleans where I found my mother's old house," Anna then said. "I found her altar in the basement and a box that could only be opened by me which had my mother's grimoire in it."