Episode Nine

"you just don't know when to quit, do you?" The man asks.

Ana groans, pushing herself up. 

Her head is pounding and she's very disoriented.

"when you quit trying to kill people, I'll quit trying to chase you" Ana responds, wiping away blood from a cut on her mouth.

The man laughs and kicks her. 

Her weak body falls to the ground again.

"why?" Ana whimpers, pushing herself up again, not able to stand only able to be on her knees.

"the police killed my brother" The man, Davion, growls, grabbing her by the hair and making her look up at him.

"the police killed my father" Ana shoots back.

"they did?" Davion asks, dropping her and she falls to the ground again.

"yeah" Ana whispers, pushing herself up again so she's sitting.

"because he was Mexican?" Davion questions.

"He was Cuban" Ana corrects. "and he was killed in Cuba"

"I don't understand" Davion frowns.

"the American police can be racist, but in Cuba? every cop you see on the street is corrupt" Ana explains, weakly.

"then why be a cop here?" Davion asks.

"to prove to my father, to my mother, to my sisters and brothers, to my aunts and uncles, to my grandparents, that a police officer can be good, can be helpful, can want the best for citizens" Ana answers.

"so you're a good cop?" Davion questions.

"I try to be" Ana murmurs.

"well shit" Davion groans.

"you didn't hurt the others, right?" Ana asks, curling up into a ball.

"your friends? the other cops?" Davion questions.

"yeah" Ana nods.

"well..." Davion starts, sheepishly.

"what did you do?" Ana gasps, trying to stand up but her body is not ready for that.

"you're not the only weak link" Davion says.

"please" Ana starts, pushing herself up again only to fall again. "who did you hurt?"

Davion opens his mouth to respond but there's the sound of a crying baby.

"you took Jackson jr.?" Ana asks.

"and the Sergeant's daughter" Davion admits.

"where are they?" Ana insists.

Davion points towards a closed door. 

"maybe you shouldn't try to stand, I drugged you pretty good" Davion advises as he watches Ana collapse again.

Ana ignores him, deciding to crawl to the door.

"okay, okay" Davion says, opening the door for her.

"Ana?" Dominique asks, sitting on the dirty floor with her hands zip tied behind her back. 

"Dominique" Ana exhales, crawling over.

"take off her zip ties" Ana orders.

"yes, ma'am" Davion nods, walking over and cutting Dominique's zip ties.

Dominique leaps into her arms but winces in pain.

"what's wrong?" Ana asks, leaning back to feel her body for injuries.