Chapter 128: Part 4

She said, "Alone in the room... aren't you afraid of the dark?" This was an unmistakable hint, but Pei Ji wasn't foolish enough to reply, "I won't extinguish the candlelight." After some back and forth, he finally decided to stay. By the time Pei Ji finished washing up, Ning Ning was already lying on the bed. Her bed was large, unlike his simple and plain style, the bedding and cotton of excellent quality, sinking into it felt like falling into a cloud. The tip of her nose was filled with the floral scent belonging to a girl, and Pei Ji could clearly feel his own heartbeat. The feeling of lying alone in bed was completely different from lying with someone else. The space that could be tossed and turned in suddenly felt crowded, the warmth of the other person lingered on the sheets, enveloped entirely by her breath. Pei Ji had never felt that tucking in the sheets could be so awkward.

Ning Ning lay on her side, gazing at him, taking in the restraint in Pei Ji's eyes. She smiled at the corners of her eyes and eyebrows, reaching out to poke his ear: "You're blushing here—don't lie flat, or you won't be able to see me." They were not very familiar with each other before, often feeling reserved in each other's company, but now as they grew closer, Ning Ning would often tease him. Among the boys she had met, Pei Ji was the most easily embarrassed, usually as cold as ice, but once teased, he would be so nervous that his body would stiffen. Sharing a bed was not unfamiliar to Ning Ning, having done so with her mother and friends, but Pei Ji was different. He had rarely had much physical contact with others, and tonight should have been his first time sharing a bed with someone. Upon hearing this, he turned his body silently, reached out to embrace her. Despite it being a winter night, Ning Ning was only wearing a soft white shirt, her body warmed by the cotton quilt, emitting heat through the fabric, spreading through his palm as if intertwined with it. Unlike a regular hug, lying with her, the intense ambiguity fermented heavily, causing his heart to race uncontrollably. The candle had extinguished, the full moon of the winter night round like a jade plate, its halo casting shadows through the window onto their faces. Ning Ning's voice sounded like a whisper with a hint of laughter: "Pei Ji, if you are like this now, what will we do after we get married?" Married. Pei Ji gradually understood some secrets about "marriage" and the ambiguity hidden beneath these two words. This was a word he had never dared to contemplate before, but now, through her voice, it reached his ears. He would marry Ning Ning. The tranquil night was the best catalyst, his feelings overflowing, Pei Ji retreated slightly but still maintained the posture of holding her, lowering his gaze to look into Ning Ning's eyes. "Your heartbeat is so fast." Her palm pressed against his chest, her words tinged with a faint scent of alcohol, the last note scratching at his heart as if with cat claws. The space on the bed seemed too confined. Even the faint murmurs were particularly clear. After a pause, Ning Ning's laughter filled every corner of the bedding: "Do you... want to... listen to my heartbeat?" Pei Ji understood her implication. His head exploded, sending heat throughout his body. He didn't want to touch her more, always considering Ning Ning's feelings, stopping at the most basic courtesy between them. A kiss was the most intimate contact, even a caress would only reach her lower back or spine. But this time was different. The air stagnated for a moment, as if a decision had been made, and Pei Ji's fingertips exerted a slight force as they passed over her spine, awkwardly moving upward. His palm was cold, sliding over the most delicate area, inducing an uncontrollable shiver. Ning Ning involuntarily made a gasping sound, the voice overly soft, so different from her usual self, surprising him with her flushed cheeks, biting her lower lip. Hearing that sound, Pei Ji thought he had hurt her and abruptly stopped his movements. Ning Ning lowered her head, her hands clutching at his front, her voice like a whisper: "I'm fine, it's okay... it's just a bit itchy." And so, the dragonfly landed on the water's surface once more, skimming past and causing ripples to spread. The boy's breathing and fingertips trembled, his well-defined right hand slowly moving upward, passing the ribs, touching a soft round moon.

His hands and ears felt like they were on fire, Pei Ji's breath in disarray, surprisingly as nervous as her. For him, this place was no different from an unattainable taboo. Even if he unintentionally thought about it, he would secretly curse himself for being shameless and despicable. He had never... thought of touching. The girl in his arms shivered. When she said those words, she seemed fearless as if facing heaven and earth. This time, he truly felt her heartbeat, making him so embarrassed that he couldn't move. Through the thin distance, Pei Ji slowly outlined her silhouette. Until that hand completely covered hers, the originally cold palm was now extremely hot. Ning Ning hadn't expected it to be so itchy. She shivered gently, unable to see Pei Ji's expression in the deep dark night, only feeling his gradually gentle and exploratory touch. There was also a very serious question: "Will this... make you uncomfortable?" Ning Ning was unwilling to answer him, wishing she could bury her entire face in the pillow. Perhaps seeing her extreme shyness, he quickly moved his hand to another place, saying aimlessly, "I'll wash up and go to bed first in the future." He let go of her hand, and Ning Ning could finally raise her head to look at him. Pei Ji's eyes were very deep, seeming to smile, touching her nose tip with his nose tip: "The bedding in winter... is too cold." He had to warm the bed before letting her get cold. Before this sentence could fully sink in, there was an irresistible kiss. The initial touch between lips was very gentle. In the night, the young man's eyes were dark and deep, the tear mole at the corner of his eye shining in the moonlight, beautiful and seductive. Pei Ji had never looked at her coldly, but now, there was the same dangerous intensity filling his eyes, causing panic. His pale lips had taken on a reddish tinge at some point, the aromatic water vapor swirling amidst the entwined kisses. In the black night, all senses were particularly clear. Ning Ning heard breathing, even the sound of hands moving fabric, rustling, echoing clearly in her ears. Pei Ji held onto her waist, forcing her closer. At some point, this kiss contained an unprecedented desire, belonging only to the deep night. His tongue delved in, carrying intoxicating alcohol, the fresh scent of bath soap, and an overwhelming possessiveness that couldn't be concealed. He applied more force with his hands, gently pinching the soft flesh at her waist. Ning Ning was kissed until she couldn't catch her breath, her brain blank amidst the suffocating feeling and the itching sensation spreading throughout her body. So hot. ...Would winter be this hot too? After who knows how long, Pei Ji finally withdrew slightly, lying close by and staring into her eyes. His originally icy voice now slightly breathless, uncharacteristically soft. Ning Ning could sense his effort to control himself, but it was this restraint that made his breath soft and enticing. After a while, Pei Ji spoke in a deep voice: "...Don't leave." This sentence came out of nowhere, puzzling Ning Ning. He continued, "In the future, I want to spend birthdays with you... don't leave, okay?"

So that's what it meant. "Just for 'birthdays,' do you want to be with me?" Ning Ning touched his cheek, feeling the delicate and hot warmth, and said with a shy smile, "I'll stick to you very, very often, you know." This was an answer that exceeded imagination, what Ning Ning was willing to give him was always much more than he imagined. The young man in front of her raised the corners of his eyes slightly, a small curve appearing on his lips. Hearing her words, he lowered his head again, wanting to continue kissing, but Ning Ning blushed and dodged away. She was still trying to adjust her breathing, and he let out a light chuckle at the disappointment in his eyes, "Still want more?" After saying this, Ning Ning realized that such words were not a rejection, but more like a teasing provocation. But she really was finding it hard to catch her breath and needed more rest. Pei Ji looked at her with dark eyes, a hint of innocence in his expression, his body moving slightly closer to hers, pressing tightly against her. His thin lips had a layer of moistness, looking particularly soft. Without speaking, he just cleared his throat, blinked his eyes, and softly responded, "Hmm." Her eardrums and heart were pounding. This cute appearance was truly adorable, and Ning Ning finally understood what it meant to be "so cute it tickles the heart," wanting to hug the blanket and roll around the bed, but restrained herself and suppressed the smile, teasing him as usual, "What do you want?" Pei Ji visibly paused for a moment. "I want..." He took a shallow breath, his voice weak, with a hint of breathlessness. His usually clear, cold voice was now husky, each word almost sensual. Pei Ji whispered in her ear, "Kiss me." A hoarse tone. It felt like fireworks bursting in her ears, a strange tingling sensation like electricity, spreading densely throughout her body. Even above her spine, there was a shivering sensation that was irresistible. Ning Ning curled up into a ball, her face turning crimson, her heart pounding like a drum, her whole body feeling like it was on fire, curling up into a ball.