Sultanate of Azerbaijan

The sultanate of Azerbaijan is an Ottoman style Centralized state, with the Sultan, Abu'l-Musafir al-Saj of the Sajid dynasty. As the last of the Lesser Caucasian KIngdoms under the Russian Empire, they took more from their Ottoman counterparts than they did from their Russian rulers. With its capital in Baku, the sultanate boasted a rich cultural heritage blending Persian, Turkish, and Russian influences. Russia gave the Ottoman Style Government more power through the tools it used to maintain it's power. IE, Nobles became closely tied to Ruler via grants of autonomy, power over the commoners and little foresight and accountability in exchange for Tax Revenue, Soldiers and administrative assistance. The Sultan, Abu'l-Musafir al-Saj, ruled with an iron fist, relying heavily on the loyalty of his trusted nobles to keep the populace in check. These nobles, in turn, controlled vast estates and had significant authority over the common people within their territories. And due to the Ottoman style structure, Only the Sultan and the Royal Court held any significant power, with the rest of the population subject to their whims. The Sultan's rule was absolute, and dissent was swiftly crushed. The Royal Court, situated in the grand palace of Baku, was the center of power and intrigue, where nobles vied for the Sultan's favor and sought to increase their own influence. But after WW1 and the Russian Civil war weakened Russia and allowed the Empire to take over and also fearing the growing communist movement in his borders, Abu'l-Musafir's father, Abdul-Qadir ibn Abi'l-Saj, was forced to open the Royal Court to the commoners and made the Royal Court's Council, the Divan, be made a permanent legislative force rather than a call when needed Council of Advisors. This move, while seen as progressive by some, was largely viewed with suspicion by the old nobility, who saw it as a threat to their traditional power. Nevertheless, Abdul-Qadir's reforms helped to stabilize the sultanate during a tumultuous time. Abu'l-Musafir ascended to the throne following his father's death in 1931 but realized he still held tons of power as the Divan's members, the Viziers, were too lazy and self-serving to challenge his authority effectively. Despite the reforms, the nobility retained much of their influence and the Grand Vizier, the Sultan's right hand, could only be appointed and removed by the Sultan himself. This ensured that Abu'l-Musafir maintained a firm grip on power, despite the nominal shift towards a more open and inclusive government. The Nationalist movement also hooked itself to the traditions of the Sultan and created a counter balance to the rising Socialist movement.

The Islamic Nationalists, led by Mahammad Amin Rasulzade, were more conservative with their reforms and only wanted the Sultan to give some concessions to the common people. They advocated for preserving the traditional power structures of the sultanate, arguing that stability and order could only be maintained through a strong central authority. Rasulzade, a charismatic leader, rallied his followers around the idea of a unified Azerbaijani identity, emphasizing the importance of Islamic values and traditions in shaping the nation's future.

On the other hand, the Communist Reformists, led by Mir Jafar Baghirov, pushed for radical change. They saw the Sultanate's traditional power structures as oppressive and outdated, advocating for a complete overhaul of the government to establish a socialist state. Baghirov, a fiery orator, called for the redistribution of wealth, land, and power, arguing that true progress could only be achieved through the empowerment of the working class. But their infighting meant no change could be passed as when one tried to pass it, all it took was 10 voting against the bill to shoot it down as the parties needed 666 votes of the lower house to pass any significant legislation. Meanwhile, the Grand Vizier, Nariman Narimanov, a socialist, worked tirelessly to navigate the turbulent political waters of the Divan. A staunch supporter of Baghirov and the Communist Reformists, Narimanov used his position to push for progressive reforms despite the challenges posed by the conservative Beyliks and as Grand Vizier, he had the ear of the Sultan and was often able to influence his decisions. However, his efforts were often thwarted by the entrenched power of the Beyliks, led by Jafar Zardabi Paşa, grandson of Hasan bey Zardabi and a staunch Islamic Nationalist.

In the Royal Court, Mirs, Paşas, Beys and ağas would be allowed to voice their opinions and try to influence the sultan into a final decision but if they revealed themselves to be corrupt, weak or self-serving, they would swiftly find themselves replaced or worse, the Sultan would bring out his mace and bash their head in with it. This display of absolute power served as a stark reminder to all those present of who truly held the reins of authority in the sultanate. As such, there was no democracy, no liberties and no accountability for those in power. The Sultan's word was law, and any dissent was met with swift and brutal punishment. Despite the facade of a more open government, the reality was that little had changed. The Divan, with its two warring factions, remained ineffective, unable to challenge the Sultan's authority in any meaningful way.

As the tension between the Islamic Nationalists and the Communist Reformists reached a boiling point, the Sultan found himself in a precarious position. On one hand, he relied on the support of the conservative Beyliks to maintain his grip on power. On the other hand, the rising tide of socialism threatened to upend the traditional power structures that had kept the Sultanate stable for centuries.

In the midst of this political turmoil, external pressures began to mount. The specter of war loomed large as neighboring powers eyed Azerbaijan's vast oil reserves with increasing greed. The Sultan knew that he would need to navigate these treacherous waters carefully if he hoped to keep his kingdom intact.

But as the clouds of war gathered on the horizon, one thing remained certain: in the Sultanate of Azerbaijan, power resided solely in the hands of one man, and those who dared to challenge his authority did so at their own peril.

Royal Seal

Royal Seal

Seal of the Divan

Seal of the Divan

Seal of the Royal Court