Chapter 13: Persistent Lies and Hidden Truths

You and Dogday are face to face with Poppy and Kissy in the centre square. You're less than amicable when you meet the doll again, especially with her crossed arms and peeved expression, however you make an effort to smile at Kissy when the pink giant waves at you meekly.

"What do you think you're doing?" Her harsh tone shakes you momentarily, before your temper flares up from her sour attitude straight off the bat.

"Wow, that's a nice way to start this conversation." You spit back, tone as sarcastic as your face is stoney, eyes narrowing at her.

"I don't have time to be nice to you." Any other time, Poppy's angry demeanour would be amusing to you (being the tiny doll that she is), but this talk was far from a joke. "You deviated from the mission, our mission. You didn't turn on the generator when Ollie asked you to, and almost got yourself killed in Playhouse rescuing Dogday! Do you not care about anyone else?" 

"Are you serious right now? Are you seriously questioning if I care about anyone else?" You force yourself to not take the step forward that you're itching to, as this might give Kissy the wrong impression. She almost bit your head off earlier, you wouldn't give her a legitimate reason to do so now. "I should be asking you that question, Poppy, since you didn't tell me that Dogday or anyone else was still alive."

"That's because there was every chance that he wasn't, all of the Smiling Critters were as good as dead when Catnap started slaughtering everyone. He was a lost cause, barely alive anyway-"

"And that's your excuse for giving up on him? Because he 'could' have been dead?" Your face is burning with barely held back rage. "He trusted you! He said we could fix this, and yet you abandoned him, and the others too! What kind of leader does that? And tell me, what kind of leader calls someone on their side a lost cause?!"

"Angel, please-" You ignore him, continuing to let out all your frustration on the red-headed doll who was staring daggers into your soul.

"You only went after him because of your own guilt." She retorts. "My mission is far from selfish, unlike you."

"The only person being selfish here is you! You just want to kill the Prototype for your own vengeance, not to help anyone else. You're willing to sacrifice anyone to get what you want, you're the one with your own motives, not me. The evidence is right in front of you, dollface."

"Angel..." Dogday is patting your shoulder, his pleading tone increasing as you continue to argue with Poppy.

"You were a mistake, you shouldn't have come back here. I wish someone else got that letter." Her voice is venomous, making you laugh out as you stare at her incredulously.

"I've almost died a thousand times for your stupid mission since I got here. You've lied to me, sent me on dangerous tasks, and kept insisting that it will all be worth it." You punctuate your stinging words with a jabbing finger at her shocked face. "The only good thing that has come out of this hellhole is Dogday, he's the only reason why I don't regret coming back. I only regret helping out a bitch of a doll-" 

"Angel please, that's enough." He says this into your ear, his hand briefly touching your face finally forcing you to listen to him. You turn your face in his direction, lowering your voice so the present company doesn't hear.

"But Poppy just said that you weren't worth saving, I can't let her get away with that!"

"I know Angel, you have every right to be mad. I just want to say something. Please let me talk for a moment, ok? You're a bit worked up right now." Your anger dissipates slightly, a bit of guilt creeping up on you for deliberately not listening to him previously. You get a grip on your tone, talking measuredly to him.