Chapter 17: A Find

In the main square, the moon tip-toes in the sky above the eerie scenery, made even more creepy by the pale light it reflects.

Hours had passed. At some point, Dogday had left again after your much needed TLC, and came back from a lengthier time away, turning up empty and apologising profusely. You had to reassure him that it was ok, that he had tried his best and that was all that mattered.

Now you were slouched against the wall, taking intermittent small sips from your first bottle. A hand busied itself with the tuft of fur on Dogday's head which rests in your lap, and he's talking to you in a more energised way than you had expected.

"There has to be another way to get you food, like in a store room or something. Somewhere that hasn't been completely raided."

"Uh huh." You're trying your best to ignore the increasing growling of your stomach, the water doing little to fill it. He sighs in frustration as he continues.

"I wish I could walk, it would be so much easier to scavenge. I know that the others didn't eat everything, there was tons of food in Playcare! It was necessary for the children. They couldn't bring new stock down here constantly, so most of it was in bulk, non-perishable. Are you listening, Angel?"

"Huh?" You blink out of your momentary disassociation, looking down at the toy staring at you expectantly. "Sorry, I zoned out. I didn't mean to..."

"It's ok, Angel. Sorry for talking a lot, I just know that there has to be another way." He lifts a hand to place it on your stomach, rubbing it soothingly. The gesture is so caring that it makes your throat tighten, panic threatening to claw its way up from the vault you had banished it to.

"I-I'm scared, Dogday. What if these bottles are it? What if there just isn't any food left?"

"Hey, don't be thinking that, Angel. I haven't given up and neither should you." He pushes himself off your lap so he can hug you, and you embrace him tightly. "I know you're scared, and that's ok, because I will stop at nothing to help you, Y/N. No one, not even Catnap or the Prototype, will stand between me and making sure you're ok. I can promise you that."

You laugh emptily, burying your now damp face into his shoulder. "Will you pinky promise it?" You feel a bit juvenile asking this, but you need some sort of sign to ease your justified worries.

"Of course I can, Angel." He pulls away enough to look down at your vulnerable expression, holding onto you with one hand as he brings up the other, pinky finger flexing outwards.

"I pinky promise." He whispers.

It brings a genuine smile to your lips as you entwine your pinky finger with his, pulling it tightly before releasing. He hugs you again, and you sigh with temporary assurance, panic easing as you savour the closeness.

"I... I wonder if Ollie can see us. He must know our general location at least." You voice your fleeting thoughts out loud, and you're aware of Dogday raising his head over your shoulder.

"You're right. Come to think of it, I never told Ollie that we were in Playschool, but he already knew which vending machines were the closest..." He looks at you once more, and you swear his eyes are much brighter than before. "You're right, Angel! That's it!"

You stare dumbly, a bit surprised by Dogday's outburst as he grips your shoulders in his excitement. "What's what?"

"Angel, Ollie would have food! Poppy and Kissy, they might have food too, don't you think? I'm gonna call him right now." He shuffles off of you and reaches for the phone while you continue to stare with wide eyes, once again blown away by his determination.