Chapter 15: Doctor Doctor

As you passively observe the fading light above shrink and disappear, you turn over your next move in your mind like a pancake in a too-hot pan. To leave with Dogday or not to leave? What if Poppy says no to joining you in getting out of here? You know that Kissy is too loyal to leave Poppy behind, and, despite the heated conversation earlier, a nagging feeling (as well as Dogday) tells you that it would be wrong to not at least try to convince Poppy to leave this hellhole. Plus, your heart goes out for the pink toy who's too devoted for her own good.

Did Poppy ever consider Kissy's feelings? You ponder. With how set the redhead doll is on destroying the Prototype, you very much doubted it. Wasn't her forcing others to go along with her plan more unacceptable than leaving her to her dangerously flawed revenge? And what about Dogday? He wouldn't survive in his current condition against the Prototype if he were left alone. And there is no way you're putting him in harm's way again, not after your close call with Catnap.

While you're flipping this metaphorical pancake, an alarming realisation comes to you. Your eyes dart to Dogday's lower abdomen, still as caked with blood and torn flesh as you had found him. 

He needs medical attention. 

"Hey, Puppy?" You speak softly enough to not startle the toy, who has been staring upwards at the stretching ceiling, hand still covering yours. He turns his head to the side, the sides of his mouth twitching up as if smiling at you is instinctive. It always makes your chest warm.

"What's up, Angel?"

You smile back, moving your hand from his own to his shoulder, eyes creasing with concern. "I think we need to find a way to patch you up. I feel horrible for forgetting that you're wounded, we need to bandage it or something."

"Don't feel bad Angel. I had forgotten myself about… this." He gestures at the area which seems more glaring the more you look at it. "It doesn't even hurt anymore, I swear."

Your eyebrows raise in alarm. "That's a bad thing, Dogday! Your flesh is exposed, I can't believe you haven't gotten an infection yet. I don't understand how that's even possible-"

"Angel, I'm fine. I've dealt with this for a long time. It hasn't gotten any worse, and I doubt it will now." He runs a hand down your arm to try and calm you, but this makes guilt sink into your chest even more. He's been suffering for so long, and your first instinct wasn't to give him first aid at your earliest opportunity. You have to make reparations, even if he doesn't see your mistake.

"Dogday, I don't… I want to help you. I want to treat it somehow, even if it's just wrapping it up. I should have asked you sooner. Let me do that for you at least. Please, Puppy?" You shuffle closer as you make your request, hoping he'll relent.

He holds your pleading eyes for a few excruciating seconds before he exhales. "Alright, I'll let you patch me up. I can't ever say no to you, Angel." His tone is affectionate and you feel joy at hearing him say yes.

"I promise you Puppy, you're going to feel as good as new when I'm done." You kiss his cheek, beaming as he brings a hand to where your lips just were.

"My Angel, I felt like that when I first saw you." You feel like your cheeks would burn right off your face from his one-liners and you look away, willing yourself to reel in your too-easy bashfulness.

"Puppy, you're going to have to stop doing that, my face can't be red all the time."

"Why not, Angel? I think red looks good on you." He leans in closer and a pleasant shiver rushes through you. You see him lean down further to nuzzle you, but before you can get sucked in by his charms again, you stand up, stretching your arms above your head. As you do so, your stomach growls, and you hope that the canine didn't hear. You play it off by smirking down at the furball looking back dumbstruck.