Chapter 18 Nio

"My name is Nio. The key sentry." The girl said.

Kiana Looked at the girl with sullen eyes. The weight of that sentence hit her like a truck. 'A key sentry' The way the girl said it too was indicative of some sort of importance. The two of their eyes met and Kiana opened her mouth.

"What the heck is a 'key sentry'?" Kiana bemoaned.
"Huh?" Nio voiced.
"Wait you don't know who I am?" She continued to say.
"Um, No, Should I?" Kiana said with a confused look on her face.
"Whatishappening,isthisanotherattack....aconfusionspellmaybe" The girl began to mumble really fast under her breath. She was hard to understand and it seemed like she was panicky.
"Ok, Why don't we sit down." Kiana suggested as she put both of her arms around Nio and sat down on the curb.

(God, Who is this girl. She's so strange.) Kiana wondered to herself. She didn't know where to start a conversation with Nio. She just held her hand on her back as the girl mumbled to herself.

"Hey Kiana!" A voice yelled out.
Kiana looked to her left and saw Rodney and Ned running towards her.
"Ah, You guys are okay!" She exclaimed. She ran up to and hugged Rodney.
"Christ, did you guys take down all of those demons by yourselves." Kiana queeried.
"For a little bit, yeah." Ned nodded.
"The Canadian military came and helped out us all. But we did hold our own for a while there, two badasses facing down the demon horde." Rodney said with a smirk.
"Oh, Stop being coy." Kiana rolled her eyes.

"So, you captured this civ?" Ned asked.
"Yeah and she said something about a key and has been mumbling all to herself." Kiana Claimed.
"A key?" Rodney questioned with his head tilted.
"Yes and she describes herself as a key. Like she thinks she's one." Kiana clarified.

"Uhh....." Rodney looked At Kiana, Confused.

"Look, why don't we get her to a shelter for now? We can worry about her mental issues, Later." Ned suggested.

"You're right. Let's go Kiana." Rodney ordered.

Kiana grabbed the still mumbling girl and pulled her carrying her over her shoulders. They began to walk down the endless streets of Toronto to their new destination.

-----

Kiana,Ned,Rodney and Nio had arrived at the shelter. The shelter was underground and was a wide-open space with a blue gravel floor and gray Steel roof. Several support beams held up this underground structure with the utmost strength. Somehow despite its cage-like interior, It still felt homely.
There were about 200 people inside, many of them looking frightened and terrified. There were also soldiers and police officers stationed, no doubt to keep the peace. Kiana, Rodney ned, Sat down at a table near the back end of the shelter. With them was Nio who had stopped mumbling and was now in a more rational state of mind.

Nio had calmed down and was in a more stable state of mind. Rodney approached her and said:

" Are you alright? Do you need anything? Food or water?" Rodney asked.
"..." Nio merely shook her head.
"All right then, you need to answer some of our questions." Rodney demanded.
"Okay." Nio agreed. Rodney sighed and sat down next to Nio while looking at her in the eyes,
"First things, first. Why'd you run away from us?" Rodney Asked Nio.
" I thought you were after me. I panicked." She answered.
"Why would anyone be after you specifically?" He continued on to ask.
"It's like I told her." Nio said while looking at kiana.
"I'm very important to mankind. I'm a link. A key." Nio said with distilled words.
"What do you mean by 'key.'" Ned asked.

"It's complicated to explain." Nio relented while bowing her head.
"But Basically, I'm a bridge between worlds. An avatar for connecting different dimensions." Nio answered.
"...." Everyone was silent.
"Right." Rodney said in a sarcastic tone.
" I can connect to other world and speak to creatures from them." She continued on to say.
" I also have a direct connection to the magi force." Nio said.
"Uh-Huh." Rodney rolled his eyes.
"You don't believe her, Rodney?" Kiana questioned.
" 'A bridge to other dimensions' really?" He said.
"I mean we are living in a world literally attacked by extra dimensional creatures." Kiana replied.
"It's just- No human or magi has ever had an ability like that." He Declared.
'Yeah, not only that but a bridge between worlds seems a bit unbelievable." Ned added.
"Come on guys, she might be telling the truth." Kiana said, willing to give Nio the benefit of the doubt. Rodney sighed at this and leaned towards Kiana's ear.
" We don't have the time to worry about the stories of lunatic." Rodney Whispered to Kiana.
"Come on Rodney, I think we should hear her out. Even if she's lying, I think it could give us insight into her mind." Kiana replied.

"*Sigh* Okay." Rodney sighed and nodded to ned.

"How do you know, you're a key?" Ned asked. Joining the conversation.
"Umm, also a complicated question." Nio Replied.
"Let's just say, I found out from a friend." She continued on to say.
"A friend. Huh?" Ned said and paused.

"Yeah..." She said and paused just like him.

"Look Ma'am. We just really can't believe you. You might be a magi but this whole 'key' thing is a wacky." Rodney stated bluntly.
"Wait-" Nio squeaked before being interrupted.
"Please. We must go." Rodney declared.
"Hold On! What if I demonstrate it for you!" Nio Offered.
"Demonstrate? What do you mean?" Kiana said.
" I can open a portal. Right here. RIght now." Nio said while outstretching her arm.
"Really? Huh." Kiana said. She looked to Rodney who was apprehensive but curious.
"Can I?" Nio asked.
"Sure. Whatever." Rodney agreed to her request.

"Nera, Veratka Serum Odilsi Sometka."
Nio Began speaking a language unknown to the three others. The words smoothly came out of her mouth as if they were almost natural to her.
Her hands began to glow blue, A shiny blue that lit up the room. Nio stood up and turned to an open spot on the shelter floor where she closed her eyes and began chanting even harder. A sharp wind began to sweep through the room despite the shelter's door being closed. Suddenly another blue light appeared on the ground as several people around them gasped at what nio was doing. This light soon expanded and grew, transforming into a circular shape which could best be described as a portal. Kiana, Ned and Rodney looked at what Nio had summoned, They were indeed impressed with kiana gazing intensely  into the endless void of the portal.
After a couple of seconds, The light began to transform into something else, The colors began to distort and shift and soon it was clear what it was trying to display - Another world.