Book Two: Harry Potter and Salazar's Legacy

Harry awoke from a fitful dream, taking a few moments to remember where he was.

By the time he had picked his glasses off the bedside table, he had recalled it.

He was staying at the Malfoy's spacious Manor, and had been for most of the summer.

'What was that dream about anyway? I wish I could remember my dreams'

All he kept from this dream was a vague indication of being strong.

He didn't know anything else about it, only that he had quite liked the feeling.

'Well, I am feeling awake now. Might as well read a bit'

"Dobby," He said, feeling a bit dumb, talking to an empty room, "Can you help me please?"

An instant later, the Malfoy's house elf appeared.

"Could you light the candle for me, please? Mr's Malfoy said not to use magic unless she or Lucius are watching, and I don't know where I put the matches"

"Of course, Master Harry", the house elf squeaked, rushing forward to do as Harry had asked.

"Master Harry is a great wizard, to obey his host's request so graciously".

The house elf stared at Harry for a moment longer before bursting into tears.

Harry sighed.

This had been happening quite frequently lately, and it had been bad enough in broad daylight in front of Draco, but it was another thing altogether when he had a bawling house elf in his room in the middle of the night.

"Sshhh! I don't want you to wake anyone up" Harry half hissed, half said.

Immediately, the elf punched itself in the nose.

'Well, at least it's stopped crying. God, I hope Lucius was serious when he said he would replace this mad thing'

"Dobby," Harry said over the elf's furious sniffling, "Could you get me a cup of tea, please? No sugar, but lots of milk?"

Dobby nodded ferociously. "Anything for Master Harry, sir", it said, before disappearing.

Harry pulled the thick tome off his bedside table and opened it up.

Lucius had advised Harry to read this philosophy book, and Harry wanted to ask the man some questions on it, but first, he wanted to re-read the chapter in question.

Dobby quickly re-appeared, and Harry accepted the cup of tea from the grinning elf, barely looking up from his book.

He muttered thanks, and the house-elf disappeared, bursting into tears again.

As I have previously discussed, the purpose of the law is not to serve as some moral high ground, but to lead a society to function well.

The law is not handed down from some god or gods, it is decided by men. If men can be flawed, the law will be flawed.

As such, it is our duty to not see the law as some shining beacon of righteousness, but as merely a vehicle to allow society to flourish.