Book Five: Harry Potter and the Dirge of Hope

"The lions sing and the hills take flight.

The moon by day, and the sun by night.

Blind woman, deaf man, jackdaw fool.

Let the Lord of Chaos rule".

Robert Jordan-The Lord of Chaos

---------------------------------------------------

"The trust of the Innocent is the Liar's most useful tool"

Stephen King

---------------------------------------------------

"Is there-is there Balm in Gilead?

Tell me truly, I implore!

Quoth the Raven:

Nevermore"

Edgar Allen Poe-The Raven

---------------------------------------------------------
_______________________________________

Russian Ministry of Magic Bunker, Chernobyl

"Sir! They've breached the outer caverns! We have minutes!"

Nikolai Volnyak, Russian Minister for Magic, kissed the picture of his wife and children before folding it and putting it in his pocket.

'At least you got to safety'

Everything had happened so fast. Since that night, events had spiraled out of control so quickly.

Who could have known, how large a contingent of Death Eaters there were in Russia, simply waiting for the order to attack?

Who could have known, that each European country would be under so much fire they could not lend each other aid?

Who could have known that Russia would be the hardest hit, worse even than Germany, where the Minister was killed. Worse even than Britain, where Voldemort himself attacked.

And so they were here, hiding in the Ministry's last fortress. The remnants of their fighters, stuck in the Ministry safe house, in a place where the muggles feared to tread.

Silently, he cursed the traitors who had led them to this point. Who had given away everything, the locations of their bunkers, the names of their operatives.

He stood up, and all eyes in the gloom turned to him.

"This shall be our last stand. We have been betrayed, we are outnumbered, outmaneuvered, and there are no reinforcements coming"

His words fell like lead. His men nodded. They all knew what the situation was. His heart swelled with pride as he looked at them.

His gaze met that of Pietrekoff. He saw the pearl the man was clutching. Knew what it would mean when it was crushed.

'No one is leaving this cavern alive'