The Stars In Your Eyes

"We're going to have dinner today and then we'll come back here to watch a movie," Mario said, lying on his bed, to his brother. As always, his plans seemed more like orders than anything.

"Today I can't, maybe tomorrow" answered Luigi.

"Again!?" he shot up "Now what do you have?"

"Um, I'm going out with Daisy"

"Really?" He crossed his arms as he arched an eyebrow, "Because Peach told me the princesses were having a sleepover in the common room today. And you know that Daisy never misses a social event."

The younger one swallowed.

"Oh right, I had forgotten."

"Okay, let's talk" he went next to him "Why are you lying to me? Don't you like to hang out with me anymore so you keep avoiding me?"

"It's not that!" He hastened to say, "It's just..." he bit his lip, "I made a friend"

"Uh? Well, you can invite him to dinner, if you want."

"No" that was a word that escaped more like a reflex than something thought. His brother frowned "Don't get me wrong, it's not that I don't want you to meet him, but... Mario, I want something of my own, do you understand? My 'friends' are really yours and I'd like you to let me have mine for now." he said with some fear.

The older one was silent for a few seconds. It was clear that those words had bothered him a bit, however, in the end he only formed a smile that Luigi couldn't decipher if it was forced or not.

"Alright"

"Really?" he asked with some degree of surprise.

"Hey, it's your life, you have the right to want to live it on your own" he tapped him on the shoulder "But set aside a space for me to spend some time together tomorrow" he got up and went back to bed "And who's the guy?"

"He is new, hero category. But his game has not been registered due to copyright issues"

Mario wrinkled his nose "That's weird, I'm not aware of a case like that. Nah, whatever," he shrugged. "Have fun, I guess. Where are you going?"

"To a ga... A pub!" he corrected quickly.

"Ha! Did you get yourself another socialite like Daisy?"

"I think it's that he doesn't like being in Fungwarry more than anything," he mentioned.

"I don't understand why. Being here is great! You know everyone, you party, you see your girl every day and everyone loves you."

"I think you're one of the few who have that popularity," laughed his brother.

"If others don't enjoy it, it's because they don't know how to move their cards," he blurted out.

Before he could answer, an alarm coming from Luigi's cell phone caught his attention.

"I have to go," said the youngest, "I'll see you tomorrow, Mario."

"Walk carefully. Oh, remember not to go out too much! Then you will age very quickly."

"I know" he left the room rolling his eyes.

He hurried to the garden. Like last time, Bowie had arrived first and was waiting for him.

"Sorry, I'm late again" he told him embarrassed.

"Don't worry, the truth is that I arrived too early" he laughed "Shall we go?"

"Sure," he smiled at him.

During the journey, they talked about how their days went. Both were always surprised how in such a short time they had managed to connect in such a precious way; in a certain way, it was as if they had known each other for years and could blindly trust each other. Which could be said to be true, even if only one of them was aware of that information.