Chapter 9 - Way Home

The trio had been on the road for over four hours now and they've grown tired of their stupid conversations. It was a clear sign for a quick stopover. They get out of the car as soon as Seokjin pulls over beside a small, family-run karinderya. A couple stretches before they head in to find a place all to themselves.

"Libre ko na" Carmela felt obligated to treat them to a meal, anyway she's the reason they're on their way to Baguio in the middle of the semester.
"Ayun oh"
"Iba na talaga si madam"
"Sa'yo ang boto ko sa susunod na halalan"
"Tangina niyo ang aga aga ah" Carmela rolls her eyes at the two.
"WOW BAKIT KAYA TAYO ANDITO?"
"Ikaw ba may gusto mag-Baguio?"

"Hindi pero ako lang naman yung nagdrive"

"Bro baka nakulam tayo??"
"SO CRISPY PATA???" Carmela cuts off Seokjin and Yoongi's exchange.
"Uy nakakahiya naman sayo" Seokjin acts shyly and then turns to the vendor, "Kuya toyomansi po ah!"
"Tsaka suka na maanghang!" Yoongi adds while he's chatting away on his phone.
"Sino ba yang kausap mo? Nasa Manila pa lang tayo magka-chat na kayo ah." Carmela takes notice on Yoongi's divided attention.
"Gago wala tinatanong kasi sila Nika bat tayo pupunta ng Baguio."
"Apat na oras mo na sinasagot yung tanong niya?"
"Malamang may kasama nang kwentuhan parang ano"
"Aaaaahhhhh" Seokjin and Carmela looks at Yoongi with skepticism.
"Alam niyo kayo... pareho kayo nawala sa ikot ng mundo diba." Yoongi said without looking away from his phone, "Pasensya na kung naging close kami nung panahon na wala kayo."
"AAAAYYY KUYA PENGE NGANG TSAA DITO" Carmela diverts the conversation.
"YUNG CHAMOMILE KUYA PAMPA-RELAX" Seokjin rides along but Yoongi's still pouting.
"KO" Carmela adds as they fail to make Yoongi smile. "Kabado kasi ako."
Yoongi smirks at the two for their effort to lighten the mood.
The two were stunned at his response though. It was true. They both spun out of their circle and Yoongi was left alone, not knowing what to do. He didn't have many other friends outside their barkada. Most of them were he considered to be mere acquaintances rather than friends. So when the falling out had happened, he had to lock himself in the studio because he didn't know how to spend his days without them.
Yoongi steps out of the restaurant to grab his powerbank in the car and make a phone call. Carmela took it as a chance to talk to Seokjin.

"Soooo..." Carmela tries to fill the awkward silence.
"Hmm?" Seokjin turns his face towards Carmela. Kind as always.
"I know we don't do shit like this..." Carmela is in her serious mode now. "But I really am sorry."
"Carms..." Seokjin tries to stop her from apologizing.
"I shouldn't have disappeared like that. You guys deserved better than that."
"I'm sorry I couldn't give you back..."
"Tinatago nga diba? 'Di mo talaga dapat malalaman yun." Carmela feels pathetic for what she just said especially that Seokjin's looking at her like he did something wrong.
"And if you want to pursue her..." Seokjin's eyes widen, he didn't think they'd be talking about this now.
"You should. I trust you more than anyone in the world." Carmela's looking directly at Seokjin now. "I know you'll take care of her."
"If I do." Seokjin is an expert at making light of any conversation. "Kasi ang bango ng luto ni kuya eh baka siya na lang liligawan ko."
"All that for nothing?!" Carmela puts her palm on her forehead, disappointed.
Yoongi walks back to with their laughter filling the entire restaurant, like they always did. Two hours later and they finally made it to Carmela's hometown. Carmela looks at the blue house where Jamee lived, observing if someone would still be up.
"Is that?" Yoongi asks.
"Yeah, it's their house." Carmela confirms.
"Baka tulog na sila." Yoongi comments.
"Jamee wouldn't be asleep yet." Of course Carmela knew Jamee's sleep schedule.
Carmela marches up the door, not sure whether her stomach's turning because of the zigzag roads they had just gone through or the constant anxiety that her best friend despises her. Carmela takes a couple of seconds to compose herself and her thoughts but the door opens even before she could knock.
"Carme?!" A wide-eyed Jamee is now in front of them.
"Pick-up po" Carmela knew Jamee would hate it if she became all sappy but they couldn't help but cry as they hugged each other.
"Uwi ka na" Carmela's words were muffled but Jamee agreed.
The two stayed like that for a minute, like trying to make up for the time they were apart.
"Pero beh..." Carmela realizes that her shirt is now wet. "Bakit basa ka?"
"Naghuhugas kasi ako ng pinggan." Jamee chuckles as she wipes her tears. Carmela immediately know what she was doing: stress-cleaning.
She gives Yoongi a high five, "Namiss ka namin 'tol." says Yoongi. She then gives Seokjin a very awkward high five it's almost a high tap, both trying not to seem too eager at the sight of one another.
Carmela and Yoongi lightly chuckle at how weird they're acting with each other but decide to spare them for now as Yoongi cuts the awkwardness.
"Kape tayo?" Yoongi suggests.
"At 2 AM?" Carmela
"Wala lang..." Yoongi look down, scratching the ground with his right foot, "...catch up."
The group understood what he meant exactly. It's been too long since they've been last together. All of a sudden, the three are rushing to figure out the wheres and whats.
"Tara pasok tayo sa bahay,"
 Carmela quickly suggests.
"Sige kuha ako kape," Jamee hurriedly goes to grab some instant coffee.
"Bitbitin ko na yung gamit sa kotse,"
Jin hurries to his car.
"Deretso mo na sa kwarto sa kanan,"
Carmela tells the guys.
So they could all, as Yoongi simply put it, catch up.

They spent the entire night talking about the movies and tv shows they watched, the people that annoyed the hell out of them, their professors, the classes they're absolutely sure they're failing, the jobs Jamee had to take when she moved back home... like they always did. And for the first time in a while, they all slept deeply, without any burden in their hearts. Without worries waking them up in the middle of the night.
There are friendships that need work. The kind that you have to fight for, and make huge efforts for. But then there's the kind that's easy. One that doesn't need begging, and I'm-gonna-make-it-up-to-yous. One that forgives easily, without any ridiculous demands. One that does not keep bitterness and spite. One that doesn't play tricks and manipulate. One that's selfless and simple. And how lucky were they to have that easy kind of friendship.