7

FRIDAY AFTERNOON – IN LIMA – AT WINTER'S PARENTS' – WINTER'S POV

"What time will you get here?" Halmeoni asks me over the phone, as we are working out the details for the family dinner she's hosting at her place tonight.

"Well, I have to pick up the kids at McKinley around 4:00 and then, they have to pack for the grandparents' trip. So...I would say 7:00 PM? Is that alright?"

"That's perfect, honey." She replies. "I'm really looking forward to it! And I have even found a way to further improve my recipe, so...I hope Yeji likes it!" She adds, much to my surprise.

"Yeji?" I frown. "But...Halmeoni, Yeji is not here."

"What do you mean, 'she's not here'?!" I hear her say in a reproachful tone.

"Well...Since I'll be busy the whole weekend with the Gleeks, there was no point for her to come along, so...she went to Chicago instead."

"What?! But, honey...Since you always complain I don't pay enough attention to her, I made her favorite, just for her! And I planned the quantities thinking she would be here! What am I going to do with the extra food now?"

"I'm sorry, Halmeoni...I didn't realize you were expecting her to be here. But you don't have to worry about the extra food, Beomgyu eats like four people!"

"But I had already factored that in, Winter! You think I don't know my own great-grandson?" She replies in an upset tone.

"Can't you eat the leftovers on the next day?" I suggest. "Or we can take them with us if you prefer..."

"No, this type of meal won't keep! Which means that I have to find someone else to join us!" She sighs in complaint. "And since your parents are at a retirement party tonight, I don't know what I c- ...Oh, what about Karina? She must have arrived by now, right?"

"Halmeoni, we already went over this..." I sigh.

How many times do I have to explain the same thing?!

"Yeah, yeah, you're divorced, I know..." She replies, jaded. "But even then, your kids still deserve family time, Winter! And since they will be away with their grandparents the whole weekend, I'm sure Karina wouldn't mind spending the evening with them." She says and I sigh again, knowing there is no point in arguing further. Obviously, Halmeoni has already made up her mind and whatever I say won't change anything...

___________________________________

LATER THAT DAY (EVENING TIME) – AT HALMEONI'S

"So, what did you do with Mr. Kang at the 'Glee kids' day'?" Karina asks our children as we are all having dinner together.

"Minji, Beomgyu and I sang 'How deep is your love'." Taehyun replies. "We learned how to sing it in harmony while Beomgyu also played the guitar."

"Wow, I definitely want to hear that!" I say, impressed. "Will you sing it for us after dinner?" I suggest and they all nod in agreement.

"And please, tell me he also made you sing 'Don't stop believin'?" I ask in a teasing voice.

"Just like every year..." Beomgyu says, jaded.

"Great, I can't wait to hear that too!" I laugh.

"But you hate that song!" Karina frowns, turning to me.

"No, I hate it when I'm the one that has to sing it! But watching others going through that pain is a lot of fun, actually." I reply while Rina shakes her head.

"So, honey..." Halmeoni suddenly says, turning to Minji. "How is it going with the Irish boy? Are you two still together?"

"Always!" Minji replies with a proud smile, while I roll my eyes. Even in Lima, we can't escape that damn leprechaun!