26 - The Date

Rapunzel  P.O.V

Jack walked towards the venue we had set up with an accusing face plastered on his head. He was about three yards away when he stopped, staring at something in the distance. I followed his path of sight to see Anna and Elsa making their way over to us, Elsa looking stunning in her blue evening gown and her hair in a high ponytail.

"Elsa." I heard Jack whisper and I smiled. It was my idea to set up a candlelit dinner on the beach, and I was glad everyone went along with it, because the look on Jack's face was priceless - pure adoration.

Elsa neared the small clump of palm trees that shaded the table, smiling when she saw Jack there in his suit. The food was already set up, under the cliché metal domes to keep in the heat, and the candles were already lit, so Mer, Eugene, Kristoff, and I started slowly backing up. We wanted to give the lovebirds as much privacy as we could so we had plans to get milkshakes at a diner down the road.

Hiccup and Anna were staying for a little while to deal with the questions Elsa was bound to have. I surely didn't want to be the one dealing with a frantic Elsa so I'm glad Anna volunteered. When we were five yards away from the circle of trees, Elsa and Jack had just met each other in the middle, having walked crippling slow to get there. When they interlinked hands, we stopped walking backwards and I ran with Merida, the boys hot on our tail, wanting them to have their moment. 

I could see the diner in the distance so we slowed, our feet moving at a leisurely walk. "They like the surprise right?" Merida asked me as I linked hands with Eugene when they caught up with us.

I nodded excitedly. "Oh, yes, and it didn't seem like they suspected anything. Although we'll have to ask Hiccup and Anna for a play-by-play." I answered, nodding my head to Kristoff as he held the door to the diner open for us. 

"Ask me and Anna what?" Hiccup interrogated as he slid up next to Mer, kissing her cheek as we found a booth.

"Wait, how are you over here already? You were supposed to stay there and deal with a frantic Elsa. You can't leave Anna there all by herself!" I chastised, ready to hop up and save my best friend from our leader's wrath.

Hiccup placed a restraining hand on my arm. "It's ok, Anna's here too." He gestured to the door where Anna was just walking in. "She's just a slower runner than I am." 

Anna slid in next to me, Eugene sitting beside her. "What happened?" I was very confused as why they weren't restraining Elsa from trying to get back to the agency and do work.

Anna and Hiccup shrugged together. "Elsa just turned to me, mouthed 'thank you' and they sat down at the table. I know, crazy right? So we ran after you guys, guessing that they wanted to be alone." Anna explained.

I nodded my head absentmindedly. "That is strange. Man would I love to be a fly on the wall for their date." I spoke my thoughts out loud, not thinking anyone would care, but I heard a gasp.

"Guys," Eugene started, "we are spies, we actually could be a fly on the wall." I looked around at my teammates, each with a mischievous smile on their face.

"Come on, you know I didn't mean that literally!" I exclaimed, shaking my hands for them to stop. But it was too late, they all were out the door, shouting instructions at each other to find the gear. I threw my hands into the air in submission. "'Oh, you're right Punz, we shouldn't do that', yeah, I know, I'm a genius." I mocked, but with no one around me to talk to, I got a couple stares from other people dining. I sighed and followed them outside to the car.

I was halfway to our car when Hiccup ran into me. "Oh! There you are, let's go!" He pulled me along, running across the damp sand to the van that we had taken to get here.