-3- Cade de Hanivel

I was conscious of the princess's silver gaze on me, while I moved to talk with my cousin Garver. It was not a kind or curious stare. No, she was glaring at me. While we waited earlier, she had looked at me with such a natural expression, but it didn't last. It was impossible for me to figure out what I did to bring on such a gaze. I had been thinking about it from the moment we broke apart, and I began greeting guests in the sunlit ballroom.

I knew she was wary of me. It was something I was used to. I was already told to be less serious and more open with her, but my mother didn't ask me to try and fix the look on my face. She knew better. I had enough of that years ago. If people didn't like my expression, they could avert their gazes.

It didn't help that my eyesight had been getting worse every year. By now, I had to squint to see across a room. It was something no one besides my parents and my personal servants knew. It was a weakness. A weakness that no one could discover.

"Your fiancé is looking over here. Should you not dance with her again?" Garver asked, tipping his wine glass towards Princess Aurora. The red liquid nearly spilled out. My lip twitched in aggravation. Even if Garver was my cousin, he was bothersome.

Calming that tendril of annoyance, I looked back at Aurora. She was now whispering something to her brother. The man that followed her around like a shadow, Karas Vell, stood beside her listening in on the sibling's conversation. His title was Princess Aurora's Head Royal Guard, but his unofficial duties were her servant and training partner. The situation was complicated, or so he had been told. Something to do with a blood oath. Queen Dima also warned in a letter that he was her best friend, and any animosity towards him would turn her against me. My annoyance grew as I studied him. He wore a black tunic of fine make. Something she bought for him no doubt. He would cause rumors to spread about our marriage.

Though it was allowed after the wedding, a royal bride could not have a lover before their marriage in Cavix. But after, well, that was a different story. Since royals were often forced into marriage, it was not expected for either the wife or husband to be loyal. I never planned to have a mistress, and the words she spoke before eased my concern somewhat. Seeing Karas again, brought those worries back. Why would a royal guard and training partner be her best friend? Why did Queen Dima sound so concerned in her letters?

Prince Eloy looked up at me. He smirked, leaning in and whispering to his sister again. I knew they were talking about me. It was blatantly obvious. They didn't even try and hide it. What had I done this time? Eloy was wearing an orange tunic and white pants, his family crest on his chest. But Aurora...Aurora was wearing a dazzling gray dress and sheer cloak. A dress made for only the most beautiful of princesses. Her beauty was astonishing. I had heard stories, but she...

"Looks like they are talking about you," Garver snickered, pulling my eyes back to him.

I sighed. "Of course, they are. And to answer your first question." I took a sip of my wine. "I was told by her mother that she didn't learn all of our ballroom dances yet. She is not much of a dancer also. Which is fine because I have to greet everyone and..." I trailed off. Of course, she wasn't much of a dancer. I felt the calluses on her hand, had seen the scars that freckled them. She was not a dancer.

"You should at least take her with you to greet the others. After all, this ball is for both your enjoyment and introductions, right?" Garver's words had a bite to them. I studied him for a moment. Noticing the question in my eyes, he smiled haughtily before taking a sip of his wine.

"I..." Scowling I looked for some excuses, my gaze shifting back to Aurora. The dress she wore fit her perfectly. Her hair was amazing, a rare color for sure and her silver eyes...I couldn't see them clearly now, but I could still remember them from our initial greeting on the steps. I was going to be in trouble. I wasn't expecting to be enthralled with her. Even her voice was easy to listen to, powerful yet feminine at the same time.

She had entered the waiting room, eyes looking at me through lowered lashes. I knew she was looking for me to smile or something, like a charming prince. Her eyes had gleamed with the question that was clearly on the tip of her tongue. Are you merely going to scowl all night? I wasn't the type to smile without a reason. I knew it had upset her, yet, her face remained calm until she looked away, focusing on the door.

Her gaze returned to mine. Those eyes pulling me back to the present. I turned my head away and my cousin laughed. He watched me with knowing eyes. I wanted to snap at him but knew this was not the time or place to allow my embarrassment to take control.

"You act like you've never had a woman before," Garver said. The ridicule was clear in his words. "You and I both know that's not the case."

My stomach twisted at his words. I didn't want to think about my past escapades, not with my wedding only a few months away. I might be allowed to take a mistress or two socially, but my own morality told me to be loyal to my future wife. Garver had more than just a reputation for bedding women. He was proud of his escapades and often tried to pull me into them.

I scoffed at his words, downing the rest of my wine. This was awkward. It wasn't just my morality. Garver didn't know what she was. She was a trained warrior, and she agreed to protect me in exchange for supporting her kingdom's economy. The marriage only made it an official and a permanent agreement. The families would be bound and so would the kingdoms. There was no telling what someone so physically and mentally strong would do if her husband took on a mistress.

I was insane. The girl was only nineteen. She should be marrying someone closer to her age. A six-year difference was not uncommon for older women. But, women under twenty-five tended to marry men closer to their age in Cavix. Perhaps I was just trying to convince myself this wasn't happening? It wasn't that I had an issue marrying whoever my parents chose for me—that was common in Cavix. It was the fact that a woman like her was going to be my wife.

She was different from our women. One could tell from the way she stood, the way her eyes studied others. She knew she was powerful and beautiful. Maybe it was her age, but she flaunted both those traits. The women around her were eyeing her as if they had a chance to beat her in some way. It made him want to scoff at their gall. She didn't need him to defend her, because she would meet their gazes with a challenging smile on her face.

"She is easy on the eyes," Garver said. I closed the gap between us. His muddy green eyes looked over Aurora. Leaning in close, I didn't want others to hear my aggravation. He noticed my movement, hesitant eyes meeting mine.

"I would appreciate it if you didn't look at my future wife covetously," I warned, allowing the threat in those words to be heard clearly. I heard Garver gulp once before I straightened. I turned, not giving him time to apologize and left to greet the actual important guests.