-6- AURORA CORIERE

The next morning, I was put into a lavish dark red silk dress that stopped just above the knee. It folded around my chest before two large elongated, button contraptions held it closed.

Under it was a simple white cotton dress that pillowed out, lifting the red fabric above. It circled my knees like a white cloud, its top painted red by the sunset. It was hemmed with gold and long red boots completed the outfit. I again refused the offer to tie my hair up leaving it to pour down my back freely.

I walked behind Karas as he escorted me to the gardens, I had yet to explore much yet. Karas, on the other hand, had the whole castle mapped out already.

"You will be walking behind us, right?" I asked Karas. He nodded, his eyes remaining forward. It had been like this for some time now. Karas was hardly the friend he used to be. I stopped short, almost stomping on the ground. Grasping his arm before he could avoid it, I yanked him back. The force caused him to pivot on one foot, the gravel bellow crunching in protest to his movement.

"Why are you being this way?" I scowled to hide the pain I was feeling. I was forced to confide in a stranger because of how distant he had been. "You are my best friend. Why does it feel like that has changed!"

I stomped my foot sending rocks his way. He glared down at the dirt that now stained his black pants. His brown eyes jerked back up as he let out a frustrated grumble.

"I am keeping my distance, because you have done nothing but glare at your future husband. If we acted the way we normally did, the members of this court would get the wrong idea."

My eyes went wide, hand dropping back to my side. Tears threatened to escape as I turned my back to him. I had to hide it. I had to keep the tears back. I covered my eyes with my forearm and took a deep breath.

The gravel shifted behind me. I was pulled to the side behind some taller bushes. Familiar arms wrapped around me from behind, trying to comfort me. Karas gave me a quick hug, squeezing lightly before backing away.

"Look, I am sorry. You are my best friend and always will be, but until you are married I must keep you at a distance in public. I thought it would be easier if I stopped all together. Being close to you, I mean." His voice wavered, and I nodded. I took another deep breath before turning to face him.

"I need my friend now more than ever," I whispered softly, before nodding again. "But, I do understand."

"Good. Once you are married, I swear we can go back to the way we used to be."

He was right. If rumors spread that we were more than friends and training partners, it would cause problems at court. A Queen could have partners after the marriage, but they had to remain pure before. So, after the wedding, if I wanted to be overly close to another male it would be fine. Though there would be gossip, it would be nothing more. Though to me, the thought was outrageous. Karas had been my best friend since I was eleven. The thought of people thinking we were more than that was odd.

"Let's get you to Prince Cade," Karas said, his eyes shifting away awkwardly. My head tilted, but he walked back to the path and went on ahead.

--------------------------------------------

Walking beside Cade quietly, my back was stiff, and I knew I didn't look the least bit comfortable. I peeked at him from under my lashes making sure he wasn't looking at me. He wore black pants with a gray top. The top was detailed with royal blue embroidery and gem-crusted buttons. Attire for a Cavix royal. The fashion here for nobility was outrageous enough but after seeing the Queen and Cade it was hard to believe anyone could afford the fine material and gem-detailed clothing.