-19- AURORA CORIERE de Hanivel

I walked into the sitting room to see Cade on the sofa looking at some papers. A rather odd sight. The sofa was only ever used by me. I snatched a muffin off the table, noting the strong smell of berries coming from the fluffy golden pastry.

"This is rare." I hummed as I walked around the sofa and sat down beside him, looking at the papers. The southeastern boarder has been experiencing internal strife. Some soldiers are acting strange, but nothing stood out. From as far as I could tell it seems to just be minor issues, but no one will say much of anything in the reports. I personally would ask Garver or his father about any issues. It might yield more information on the subject, but it was Cade's decision on what to do. He knew more about Cavix than I did.

As for the movements of the troops in the two southern kingdoms, they are aimed at fighting each other only. Neither are showing signs of bringing Cavix into the crossfire, at least for now. War was my specialty and those kingdoms had no ill will towards Cavix. Not because of treaties or friendly ties. Because they would be outmatched and overpowered even if they combined forces. I looked up to see Cade watching me and waiting. He was waiting for my thoughts it was obvious.

"Talk to Garver about the solders in his father's ward. The issues with the south I wouldn't worry about. I know that it is better not to interfere with their feud. We can handle it if one of them wins and turns on us. After all, you have the Eladere's armies if they somehow wind up pushing into the kingdom. I don't mess much with political issues, so if a war does start, that is when I can help more."

"You just fight?" he asked. I sighed, leaning my back against his arm and yawning.

"Sorry, but I will leave the politics to you and you can leave the fighting to me. I would rather lead an army or something." His laugh had my head shaking. Why would he laugh at that?

"I was thinking that the other day, having you and Karas train and lead a legion of troops. It seems beneficial, though, I would rather you not put yourself in danger," he mused, and I angled my head to look up at him smiling.

"You know me so well already." I said before looking back at my muffin. "I would like that. I might not be the perfect political leader, but I can fight and protect your kingdom." Cade sighed at my words and I braced myself for him to fight back.

"Our kingdom." He said. I flinched as he corrected me. I still had issues adjusting to saying our kingdom. Not that I disliked Cavix. I was content and happy here. This green forested region was cool but not overly cold. I enjoyed it here, even if it wasn't the rocky and gray home I knew. I took a bite out of my muffin.

"Sorry. Our kingdom. I will protect our kingdom." I laughed. It was embarrassing when I made mistakes like that, but it never seemed to make Cade mad. Though, sometimes sadness would flash in those blue eyes.

"I know you would like to lead a legion. That is why I am seriously discussing it with my father and commanders. You must wait until after I take the throne, and all this assassination stuff blows over. Who knows, I might not survi–" My hand was on his mouth before he finished the word. Just the thought had my heart skipping a beat. He would survive.

"I will keep you alive. That seal on your hand proves it, so remember this Cade." My eyes locked with his as my hand slowly let go. I had moved so fast I hadn't realized I was practically in his lap now. I steeled my nerves, my heart racing, but I had to get this across to him. "If you ever find yourself dying from anything except illness or old age it is because I am already gone."

His eyes wavered at the words and I knew just like the night the seals were created, Cade already felt love towards me. He was already ahead of me. How far I didn't know, but I wanted to catch up. I wanted to, but I was slower at this than he was.