The Albar: chapter-4

Chapter-4

Nahor’s eyes widened as he noticed Ariana soaring up from the corner of his eyes. He paused, staring- she appeared suspended in thin air, the white robes the Angels had given her for camouflage whipping around. At least she was out of reach of the vampires...

Even as he watched, yet another angel fell- they really could do little till it was day again. Groaning inwardly, he joined in the fray. Surprised by his appearance, two vampires quickly succumbed to his blows. Then they seemed to realize that the darkness failed to affect him. Growling in disappointment, they began to group against him.

Glancing upward, he realized that Aria was still floating in air, although she now swung precariously from side-to-side. ­Another angel fell and Nahor realized that he had to protect the last angel, if he was to save Aria: The moment the final angel was destroyed; Aria would crash to the earth, and be taken by these demons if the fall did not kill her first.

He could not allow that to happen!

With that thought, he focussed on the vampires around him, making short work of knocking them down. Once he was free, he checked to see Aria again, only to realize that she was now dangerously close to being scratched by the branches. He staked the last standing vampire, dragging the screaming demon away from the prone angel, to a clearing and securing him there to wait for sunrise.

“You alright?” He asked the angel gruffly, noting the tear in his wings.

The angel nodded mutely, unsure whether or not to trust him.

He looked up at Aria floating above them and spread his wings.

“You can fly!” the angel exclaimed in surprise.

He looked down again, “Yes, and I’ll be obliged if you release her from your power now. I’ll take her home.”

“NO.”

“You really think she is safer with you?” He asked incredulously.

“Raphael will hear of this!” The angel warned; hoping, he could see, to make him cower by the mention of the arch-angel’s name.

“I hope he does.” He answered briefly as he soared up to reach Aria. She turned her head as if she could sense him, but her eyes were unfocussed. Cradling her, he flew down again.

“Will she be alright?”

“Yes, she will think of this as a dream, nothing more.” The angel assured him before slowly dissolving into thin air. As if in response, her eyes drifted close and she resumed breathing steadily.

Nahor sighed.

It appeared Ariana was safer with him, after all.