The Albar: chapter-2

Chapter-2

He was still thinking about the girl and the implications of his actions when he strode into the room, only to be greeted by a startled yelp. Realizing she had woken and not wishing to frighten her any further, he stepped back, the action illuminating his face (by the hallway-lamp.)

“Wait,” the girl called, “I know you,” she said slowly, moving forward, “You’re the guy who saved me from the wreck!”

“Yes,” he admitted, stepping inside. The jagged scars on her temple making him look away.

Should he heal her? Just one touch, that’s all it would take....

Following his gaze, she touched the injury; “It’s alright...it doesn’t hurt...”

Her pause made him realize she was waiting for his name.

“Nahor,” he supplied.

“Pardon?” she furrowed her brows in confusion.

“Nay-hor” he enunciated slowly, “It means ‘light’ in Aramaic.”

“Nahor.” She repeated, smiling. “Thanks for saving me.”

He smiled. She thought he was human, he realized...He couldn’t heal her.

Her...he did not even know her name.

“And you are?”

“Ariana,“ She answered, “You can call me Aria.”

A moment passed with neither of them saying anything. He watched her, noting how her thick black curls framed her face, enlarging her already large, doe-shaped eyes.

“Umm...Do-” her words interrupted his thoughts, “uhm...do you know what happened to my parent-”

He shook his head slightly, watching as her face crumpled. He stood uncertainly for a minute, not sure what was expected of him, and then hesitantly pulled her into an embrace, muttering, “I’m sorry.”

He held her quietly, allowing her to soak his shirt-front with saltwater and smudged tear-marks until the ringing of the door-bell had him straightening. Still, he stood there, reluctant to release her. He heard voices as Rita opened the door to let whoever-it-was, inside. It was a few more minutes before she came to summon him.

He nodded, indicating she should stay with the girl...Aria, till he came back upstairs.

He raised his eyebrows as he saw who was waiting for him.

The angels smiled, raising their hands to indicate that they came in peace.

Nahor nodded, “Gabriel, Raphael.”

“You followed in your father’s legacy today, Nahor.” Gabriel opened.

All these years they had ignored him. And now they expected him to welcome them warmly?

“Did I, now?” He retorted.

“We know about the girl, Nahor. What we want to know is- were you acting on someone’s orders?” Raphael interrupted.

Nahor smiled. Raphael never did learn to sugar-coat his words.

“No.” He chose to answer in monosyllables till they explained what they wanted.

“Then, I trust you will have no issues about handing her over?”

Nahor felt an abrupt fury seize him.  They wanted Aria.

 “Why?”

This time Gabriel chose to intervene, realizing that the situation could quickly get out of control, “Surely you understand that she would be safer with us?”

He closed his eyes.

Gabriel was right- Aria would be safer with them.

Then why did he have such a bad feeling about this???

__________________________________________________________________________

=============================================================

PS.- This is how I pictured Aria. Check the image on right.!