Chapter 4: Bette Davis Eyes

Jack shoved the list of names into his pocket as he approached Brian and Jenny. "I have the list of names to give Misty. Are you two ready to go?"

"Actually, one more thing." Jenny unpinned some of the photographs from the bulletin board and slipped them into her purse. "If Misty really wants her memory jogged, there's no better way to do it than with photos."

Generally speaking, photographs were a great way to capture memories, but they weren't going to be that useful if the person they were supposed to be remembering was gone. Nevertheless, he watched silently as Jenny put one last picture in her purse. After all, what if her hunch was right?

Once they had all their things, they left the newsroom and made their way to Jack's car. "Wait." Brian stopped.

Jack and Jenny looked back at him.

"Did either of you tell Mr. Bergeron where we were going?"

Jack said. "No..."

Jenny added, "I'm sure he'll understand we're just out for an interview."

They took a few more steps toward the car. Then Brian said, "I just realized something. Wouldn't interviewing the editor's niece also be a conflict of interest?"

"She's the only one with any knowledge of that void," Jack told him. "We have no choice."

"Why does this phenomenon have to be so self-contained?" Jenny griped. "Why couldn't it have been, like, one of the Billingsleys who got pulled into the void?"

"Also a conflict of interest," Brian replied. "Jack has a crush on their daughter."

"Did you really have to say that?"

"You never said I was wrong."

Jack sighed.

"Ugh, I hate living in such a small town!" Jenny groaned. "Everyone knows everyone here. If you're not interviewing a friend, you're interviewing a friend of a friend. That's something we'll just have to get over here."

Jack and Brian looked at each other. They were no strangers to interviewing their friends and neighbors. Why was it when they were writing about a mysterious black void that they got so apprehensive?

It was definitely because their friends and neighbors were highly devout Latter-Day Saints who would metaphorically burn them at the stake if it got out that they were involved with the supernatural.

But this interview wasn't going to conduct itself. Jack got in the driver's seat of the little teal pickup. What did he even need a pickup for? He was a reporter. He never needed to put anything in the bed. That space was better off used to give the seats more legroom so that Brian and Jenny wouldn't have to squeeze in.

Jack opened the glove compartment and took out a bright green sticky note that said "35 Ascension St." Good. The notes that weren't thrown into the void still existed.

Brian, who was sitting in the passenger's seat, watched in confusion. "I thought you lost those."

"I only lost the ones I hadn't written on." Jack stuck the note to the dashboard. "Now, let's get going."

They drove to the Scotts' house. As they walked up to the doorstep, Jack hoped that it was Misty who would answer and not Mrs. Scott. He knocked on the door, and look who answered.

"Oh, you're back," Mrs. Scott said. "What do you need this time? And who are your friends?"

"I'm Brian Davis," Brian said as he reached out and shook Mrs. Scott's hand.

"And I'm Jenny Danberry. I just moved here." Jenny shook Mrs. Scott's hand as well.

"I'm Nadine Scott. Nice to meet you both." She looked at Jenny. "You just moved here, huh? People don't usually do that."