Chapter 13: Der Kommissar

Jack and I drove by the police station jail to visit Jenny after she was arrested. I still held the Walkman in my hands wondering what the heck that song was that was on that cassette. She had chosen Jack as her one phone call, but it wasn't like I was going to go without any cassettes.

We sat at two desks on either side of a clear plastic screen, a handset in Jack and Jenny's hands. The whole time, she was giving me these dirty looks. I guess I don't blame her. I was the one who got her arrested after all.

"Do you have any idea what the punishment for obstruction of justice is?" Jenny asked. "Twenty years in prison! Or a $15,000 fine! Or both! Do you think I can afford any of that?"

"Don't worry." Jack looked her in the eyes. "We'll get you out of this somehow."

Jenny leaned forward onto her desk. "And how is that? There's no way I'm not going to get convicted. What is my lawyer supposed to say? 'Oh, Jenny was right in not telling the police that the thief was a ghost because the thief was a ghost, and no one was going to believe her'?"

"Or it could go this way: the judge could just say, 'A ghost? That's absurd. Case dismissed.' Then you could go free."

Jenny sighed. "There's no escaping this trial. The arraignment is supposed to be on Monday, but I hope the judge decides it's absurd like you said."

"Do you know if they set any bail for you? Maybe we could bail you out."

"No. That happens at the arraignment."

Jack grunted. Civics was never his best subject.

"Besides, it's not like bail will completely set me free. I still have to go to the trial. I'm just paying not to be stuck in jail until then."

Jack put his head down. I could hear him whisper, "Thou shalt not kill, thou shalt not kill, thou shalt not kill..."

Jack, are you talking about me? Are you wanting to kill me because I got your friend arrested? For shame! I knew you hated me, but I didn't think that much!

"Also, one more thing," Jenny said. "Do you know any lawyers?"

"Do I know any lawyers?" Jack asked. "No. Do I see some in the classifieds while arranging the layout of the Inquisitor every day? Yes."

"Great!" Jenny smiled. "What did I do to deserve a reporter for a friend, anyway?"

"You realize you're a reporter, too, right?"

"Alright, smarty pants. Are you going to give me any names?"

"I'd love to, but I'm your one phone call. You wouldn't be able to call a lawyer even if you wanted to."

"Then call one for me! I'm in a bit of a bind."

"Okay, then. I'll do that when I get home."

"Fine." Jenny shot me another glare. "Now, pass the phone over to Katie."

Jack did so. The first thing I heard from the handset was, "Well, Katie, I hope you're happy. I'm not going to be able to help you from a jail cell."

"Calm down," I said. "We'll bail you out."

"And what if I get convicted? How am I supposed to help you then?"

"You won't. I'll have Brian, someone who actually cares about me."

"You...you have no remorse, do you?"

"If by that, you mean some sort of feeling of guilt for landing you in the clink, then no, I haven't felt much of anything. I just have a question."