Chapter 12 - Total Euphoria

"She's losing too much blood!" A panicked voice stirred me, but everything was still groggy and fuzzy.

"For God's sake, control yourself! Put pressure here." Funny, I didn't feel the force of hands anywhere after this sentence... well, I couldn't feel anything at all. Not even any emotions. I was a blank slate. "We need to get this cleaned and stitched."

"C'mon, Rora, please wake up." The first feeling I'd had so far: anguish; and it was in reaction to whatever this man just said. I struggled to fling my eyes open or even move anything, but I couldn't.

All of sudden, everything started to burn. The bite! It's taking effect! is the only thing I can think and the first movement I made was to scream. "GET AWAY FROM ME! I'M TURNING!" I cried and I twisted and turned which caused a tearing sensation from my lower back to my left calf.

I heard a few people yelp and a dozen hands shot out and grabbed parts of my body, pinning me down and I screamed harder in fury and panic and pain and I heard somebody yell, "hang on!" before a blinding pain swept across the top of my head...

____________________________

"Please wake up, Rora, please..." my brain was now turned on but my eyes wouldn't open. I was only half registering the things around me. My skin was still burning and I could feel that my eyes were tearing up from the heat under my eyelids. "You can't leave me here alone, Rora..."

I felt pressure around one of my hands but I still couldn't move: everything hurt.

"C'mon, Vic," a new voice entered the room. "She'll wake up when she wakes up... you can't rush her."

"No, I'm staying here until she does."

"She can't here you; she's unconscious."

"She can hear me."

There was a sigh. "Okay."

I wanted to open my eyes, move my face, squeeze Victor's hand back but I was so bound by pain and my fever that I couldn't move a muscle.

"Carl, Robin and Clementine are doing okay, Rora..." he whispered close to my ear and I forced all my energy into opening my eyelids, but I couldn't. "It's alright, you saved them... but I'm really scared you might die because of it. If you're hearing me right now, wake up. Please, if you love me, you'll wake up."

I remembered my usually stubborn and never-give-up attitude, but I couldn't seem to put it into play here. I imagined gritting my teeth, clenching my fists and doing what needed to be done, but even thinking about it like I was: it wouldn't spark what I wanted to do.

"You have to wake up soon, Rora." His voice cracked with emotion. "They're going to put you down if you don't. We don't have the equipment to feed you if you're in a coma... they keep saying that it's kinda to shoot you than wait for you to starve to death. Please, wake up, if not for me, do it for you."

My eyebrows pushed together and I was suddenly surprised at how I'd moved. Victor obviously was too because I heard an intake of breath and gentle hands cupping my face.

"C'mon, please, Rora, just open your eyes. I have to see your eyes!"

My eyes finally fluttered open and I was blinded by the intense light that shone right into my pupils. Victor grabbed my shoulders and pulled me up, I noticed the tears trailing down his cheeks out of his brown eyes and I felt so awful.

I grabbed him around the neck and enveloped him in a huge hug of tearful joy. "I'm okay, I haven't turned; I can't believe it." I sobbed, letting myself have the second moment of weakness in four days.