Chapter Six

Henry. The man I'd once thought to marry. He hadn't changed at all in the five years since I'd last seen him, at least not at first glance. He was still taller and slimmer than most men. There were lines around his eyes that I didn't remember being there before, but I tried not to allow myself a closer look.

Why was he in a shop like this?

It took me a second to realize that he'd just asked me the same thing and for a moment, my mind was completely blank. "What else does a young woman do in a shop?" I managed to say, holding up the small packages in my hands. I, at least, had a plausible excuse for being there, if it wasn't exactly the most truthful. "I purchased ribbons."

"Who is with you?" Mr. Bladen sent a glance around the small shop. I saw his eyes widen and knew he had seen her. "Can that be Miss Graham?"

"Yes, it is." I was relieved he had answered his own question. "She had purchases of her own to make, and I am waiting for her to complete them."

"She stayed with you, then. I am glad you had some consistency in your life after your parents... Well, I feared she might have been sent off when your uncle came for you."

My fingers tightened around the packages. That was precisely what had happened. How dare he? After leaving and staying away for five years with not a word of explanation, now he tries to tell me he was happy there had been 'consistency' in my life? No. He wasn't going to lie to me, and even if he wasn't lying—I didn't want to hear it. Not from him. Not after so long. "What are you doing here?"

His eyes returned to me, and there was a startled expression on his face. He'd never heard me speak so sharply before. His cheeks flushed red. "Ah, yes. Well, um—" He cleared his throat, and I felt a wicked stab of amusement at his embarrassment. "It's awkward, but I promised Margaret I would pick up some special lace she had ordered."

I didn't believe a word he'd said. How could I have expected an honest answer from him? I should have known better than to have even asked. Margaret was his older and married sister. Why would he play errand boy for her? As kind as he'd been when I knew him—well, when I thought I'd known him—he had never shown any inclination to allow anyone to order him around, especially not for something so trivial such as to pick up ribbons.

"She could not have it delivered? Most women do."

A moment of pure panic showed on his face at my question. "She didn't tell me these things can be delivered! She said it was the height of importance for me to bring them to her today! When I see her again—"

He broke off before he finished his threat. Whether he was telling the truth or not, I didn't— couldn't—feel any sympathy for him. I turned to find Miss Graham. Her back was to me, so she had not yet seen Mr. Bladen standing with me. I couldn't leave without her but was reluctant to cut short her purchases.

"You have been well, then, Miss Sinclair?" Mr. Bladen asked after clearing his throat.

Oh, no. We were not going to begin an awkward conversation of how our respective lives had been for the past five years, and I was in no mood for the politeness required between 'Miss Sinclair' and 'Mr. Bladen' when once we had been so close. "I must return to Miss Graham. She is sure to have finished by now," I said, ignoring the question. "Good day, Mr. Bladen."

He reached out a hand, stopping short of actually touching my arm. "Miss Sinclair, please," he said softly. On the verge of walking away, I paused, hearing a note of pleading in his voice that hadn't been there before. "I-I have missed your company. I hope you know that."

My breath caught in my throat. Why would he say such a thing here? A small part of my heart wanted, desperately, to believe him. He'd left so abruptly that I had expected something terrible had happened in his family. Just like it had with mine. I'd waited in vain for a letter or message. Anything to explain why he'd left when I had needed him the most.