Chapter Nineteen

Taking a deep breath, I faced Miss Graham. Her face was blotchy and under her eyes were puffy. However, her hands were clenched tightly and her chin was jutted forward. "This is your doing," she said, her voice a hiss. "Mr. Bridges has been carted away like a common criminal!"

"He tried to kill me!" I protested. I let the shawl I held around my neck fall away, revealing the bruises.

Her eyes went to the bruises, and her face paled even more. "You provoked him," she whispered, almost desperately. "You invented those lies."

"For what reason?" I looked down at her. All I felt at that moment was pity. "Do you think I came into this house with the express purpose to create a lie about Mr. Burnham's valet?"

She glared at me. "I am being turned off, Juliet, without a reference. What am I supposed to do? This was going to be my last position as a governess. I'm not getting any younger."

Tiredly, I shook my head. How much of her hopes she had pinned on Bridges! What did she expect me to do? "I'm sorry, Miss Graham." I turned and continued on my way. My headache was worse than before, and I wanted to hide in a dark room to sleep for a week. Something that would not be possible here.

I'd always idealized love. My parents had loved each other deeply and had been happy. Yet I had never thought about how destructive love could be. I had been given a glimpse of that when Henry had left without a word, but seeing Miss Graham's devastation and blindness at Bridges using her; that was something else entirely.

I had just closed my bag when the door opened. "You're leaving?" Mary asked, a note of panic in her voice. "Why? I thought now that it's over, you'd be staying on!"

"After what I've been through, I have no inclination to stay," I said with a slight smile. I picked up my bonnet and settled it on my head. "You know everything you need to know about caring for Miss Eugenia. There's nothing more I can do here."

"You did not come just to train me," Mary argued.

"That's right, I didn't," I agreed with a smile. She could not know how close she was to the truth. "It's funny how things turn out, isn't it?"

She stared at me in a bewildered sort of way. "But, where will you go?"

Feeling generous, I opened my reticule and drew out a card. "If you feel you need to contact me, you may send a letter to this address. It will find a way to me, wherever I am."

Reluctantly, the maid glanced at the card. "What will I tell Miss Eugenia? She wanted to speak to you, but her mother wouldn't let her come."

"I have left a note for her." I nodded towards the dressing table. The notes I'd left had not been moved and would be all the explanation I could give. I doubted that Mr. Burnham wanted his daughter to know the details of everything that had happened. "It is better this way, Mary."

Her shoulders sagged as she gave in. "I wish you the best, Miss Nelson."

Impulsively, I reached out and hugged her. "And I you, Mary."

The door creaked as Molly pushed it open further. "Mr. Burnham has ordered his carriage ready to take you anywhere you wish, Miss Nelson." There was nothing but curiosity in her voice. Undoubtedly, she had questions that would never be answered.

"Thank you, Molly," I said, stepping back from Mary. I picked up my carpet bag and turned slowly to give the tiny room one last look. I could honestly say that I would not miss it a bit. I nodded once and started for the door.

Both of the maids trailed behind me as I walked down the stairs. Mr. and Mrs. Wilder were waiting by the door. "Goodbye, Miss Nelson," the housekeeper said, extending her hand for me to shake. "Have a safe journey."