Chapter Ten

One of the things I dreaded most about my position was breaking my fast in Mrs. Wilder's sitting room.

Given how things had begun between the housekeeper and me, it was not a meal I relished, no matter how hungry I was. I would take my time leaving the family's part of the house. I knew as soon as I entered the servants' section, my resolve to be unaffected by her brusque manner would be put severely to the test.

The day after I'd made the first steps toward helping Eugenia, I knocked lightly on Mrs. Wilder's door, hoping she would already be going about her business. My heart sank when she bid me to enter, and I opened the door to the bright, cheerful room. "Good morning, Mrs. Wilder," I said, determined to be as polite as possible. "How are you today?"

The woman looked up from her desk. For the briefest second, she seemed surprised to see me. "You are early, Miss Nelson." She looked back down at the papers on her desk. Her statement puzzled me, for I thought I had arrived at the same time I usually did. However, before I could work on it any further, she asked, "How did you find the mistress and Miss Eugenia this morning?"

"Mrs. Burnham was exhausted from her activities last night and went back to sleep, and Miss Burnham seemed to be ready to face the day," I said, moving further into the small sitting room. I had made it a point not to sit down until invited, as a way of respecting her domain. "You appear to have a great deal to do, Mrs. Wilder."

"Not all of us have the leisure to rise so late in the morning." She waved a hand, a habit I had assumed she'd learned from Mrs. Burnham. "Sit down already. Mary will be bringing your tray in soon."

Taking a seat, I watched her at her work. In the hierarchy of the servants' hall, she would technically be above me, even though I did not come under her control. If I were to sway her opinion to at least look on me as—I couldn't think of the right term—maybe someone who was useful, perhaps the rest would follow. And my task would become much easier to complete.

"It looks as though we will have fine weather today."

The weather was a general enough topic I hoped would be the start of a conversation. However, it was a vain hope for I received no response. "You have served the Burnhams for many years, I presume?" Perhaps something closer to her own life would prompt an answer.

"I have."

Her short tone did not encourage conversation. But I knew I needed all the help from the other servants I could get. "You must know the family well then," I continued, stubbornly. "You've watched Miss Burnham grow up?"

Setting her pen down, Mrs. Wilder turned in her chair towards me. Finally, I had her attention. "Exactly what information do you wish to learn, Miss Nelson?" she asked, her tone bordering on hostile once again. "Do not think you can sweet talk anything out of me, or anyone else in the household."

"Mrs. Wilder, if I am to be of any help to Miss Burnham in attaining a good match, I simply must know more about her and her family." I raised my eyebrow. "Isn't that so?"

"And why would you be concerned about Miss Eugenia's matrimonial prospects? It has nothing to do with you."

I barely kept from sighing. Would I ever overcome her hostility? "Is it not the duty of any good lady's maid to encourage and aid her mistress? It is my responsibility to ensure she looks her best when she faces society. I have a plan I hoped you would be willing to assist me with."

Mrs. Wilder continued to stare at me, and it rattled my already unsteady nerves. The expression in her eyes had changed from dislike to slight puzzlement. At least, I had her attention. "You speak like an educated lady, Miss Nelson."