Chapter Fifteen

Alarmed, I opened my mouth to protest the rough treatment. Mr. Harper clamped his hand over my mouth, cutting me off before I could even try. "I give you my word that I will not hurt you, but I need answers," he said. "And I would rather not have any interruptions."

How dare he enter my room and attack me like this? For a moment, I was furious, both with him and myself. Why had I not been more cautious in opening my door? Struggling to get free, I tried to kick his ankles, but his leather boots protected his ankles well enough that he just ignored my attack. He held me against the door with seemingly minimal effort.

Fear gripped me then, replacing my anger. The knife in my pillow had been a warning, after all, and I hadn't left the house. Was this attack the next step in ensuring I left the house? My heartbeat pounded in my ears.

"If you give me your word that you will not give me any trouble, I will release you." The calm way he spoke to me made him sound infuriatingly reasonable. "Please do not make this any more difficult than it has to be."

Breathing through my nose, I narrowed my eyes and glared at him. I would be as difficult as I very well pleased! How could he possibly think I would behave otherwise after being manhandled in such a rough manner?

"Do you really want to be discovered, alone in your room with a man, Miss Nelson?" His eyebrow echoed his question. "I imagine that would not reflect well on your otherwise impeccable record."

His face was only a few inches from mine. The only other man I had ever stood so close to was Henry Bladen, during our courtship. That thought made me go still, and he must have taken that for compliance because his grip on my arm loosened slightly. He didn't completely release me though.

"Will you keep quiet?"

What choice did I have? I nodded once, and he lifted his hand from my mouth. He gripped my other arm, clearly showing he didn't trust me not to struggle again. I took a deep breath and cleared my throat. "What do you want? Who do you think you are to come barging into my room like this?"

"I am the one with the questions," Harper said sharply. "I want to know who you're working for."

"Who I'm working for?" I repeated with a slight laugh. How had he guessed I had my reasons for being in the Burnham house? "I work for the Burnhams. And Mr. Burnham isn't going to like hearing how you barged into this room and attacked one of his employees. Now let me go."

"You pretend to work for the Burnhams, but I know you're here for another reason," Harper snapped. "Who are you passing information to?"

I gritted my teeth as I glared at him. His face was still close to mine, his breath brushing against my cheek. My gaze dropped to his mouth, and a highly improper idea came to mind. Before I could think better of it, I acted.

Closing my eyes and leaning forward, I pressed my lips against Oswyn Harper's.

Henry had kissed me several times in the months before my family died, and I had always enjoyed the experience. But this was completely different. Mr. Harper's lips were firm under mine, and he wasn't holding me in a remotely tender embrace.

My action seemed to startle him, and he loosened his grip on my arms. Reaching up, I put my hands on his chest and shoved as hard as I could. He stumbled back a few feet, drawing his hand over his mouth. Had it been any other situation, I might have been insulted at that. "What the—" he began to say.

I pushed away from the door, getting my breath back. "How dare you come in here and make such wild accusations? You're the one who has been in and out of this house while Mr. Burnham was away."

"I work for Mr. Burnham!" Harper said defensively. "I had business—"

"He knew nothing of you being in this house so often when I made mention of it. In fact, he seemed rather upset by the idea."