Chapter Twelve

I felt as though I had reached a new level of tired when Mary roused me in the morning. When I heard the knock, I called out for her to come in. It wasn't until the door handle rattled and she declared that she couldn't get in, that I remembered the previous night, and surged to my feet in a panic.

Stumbling, I made it from my bed, pulled the chair free, and then opened the door. Holding the tray with my tea, the maid looked at me with a quizzical expression. "Sorry, Mary," I said, rubbing my hand across my eyes. "Please set it down at my table."

Mary carried the tray in. "Did you have a problem with Edward?" she asked, referring to the footman. "Is that why you blocked the door?"

"What? Oh, no." I stepped closer to my bedside table and picked the paper knife up. "Unless he has a habit of stabbing pillows."

"Stabbing—?" Mary repeated. She sent a glance at my pillow and saw the makeshift repair I'd done in the night. "Why would anyone do that?"

"Why would they destroy one of Mrs. Burnham's dresses?" I countered, raising my eyebrow at her.

An embarrassed blush stained her cheeks. "That is something else entirely," she said defensively, her tone flustered. She bent for a closer look at the opener and shook her head. "I've never seen that before. It's not from this house."

That declaration sent a chill through my heart. If it wasn't from the Burnham home, why did it look familiar? "Then where could it have come from?"

The maid shrugged and straightened up. "I honestly don't know. You should tell Mr. Wilder. If a person came into the house without anyone's knowledge, he needs to know that it happened."

"Of course," I said with a sigh. What Mary had said made sense, though I wasn't looking forward to the conversation with Wilder. Would he wonder why I was targeted? "I'll speak to him as soon as I'm dressed."

"Miss Eugenia wants to tell you about last night."

I wasn't surprised by that at all. I covered my mouth as I yawned and set the paper knife down. "Then, I will be down directly. Mrs. Burnham will not awaken for several more hours, I'm sure."

Mary nodded and left the room. Sighing, I sat on the edge of my bed and leaned my head back. I wanted more than anything to crawl back into the warmth of the blankets. After a few minutes of absolute silence, I forced myself onto my feet and went through my morning ablutions, moving slower than I'd ever done before.

As I reached for my cup of cooling tea I saw the letter. Picking it up, I did not immediately recognize the writing. Breaking the seal, I found a second letter enclosed inside. I pulled the first note and read it.

Miss Sinclair,

Mr. Bladen bribed one of the scullery maids to leave this letter in your room. However, I intercepted it. Kindly refrain from informing Miss Rycroft of this as I would very much dislike losing her trust.

Miss Carter

Henry Bladen had written to me? A glance at my watch told me that I didn't have the time to read it there and then, but I didn't dare leave either missive to be found by someone snooping. I tucked them both into my pocket and slipped the paper knife into my sewing basket.

Eugenia was up but not dressed, which was surprising considering Mary had already been there. She could not have slept for long, but only excitement showed on her face. "Have I something suitable for a drive in the park, Nelson?"

"Surely you know the contents of your own wardrobe, Miss Burnham," I said walking over to the sturdy piece of furniture. I flinched as I realized just how impertinent that sounded.