The Woman Before Me (Joel Miller)

Warning: lil angst, swearing and fluffy ending.

Summary: Joel stands the chance of possibly loosing you, but is ready to reveal his fears to you in order to save the relationship? Inspired by - Trisha Yearwood's - The Woman Before Me.

******************

I can see you turn away
When I ask what for
You say it isn't anything
But I'm not sure

Something underneath the skin
Won't let you be
And you try to keep it in
But I can see

The woman before me must have been hard on you
'Cause that hurt in your eyes, I'll never put you through
Sometimes I think you must be talking to
The woman before me and you

It was a normal Friday evening for your boyfriend and you as usual; early dinner, the followed by a movie and halfway through it, you guys would end up fucking on the couch or living room floor. But tonight was different, something was bugging you, had been for quite some time and try as hard as you like, it wouldn't remain dormant any longer. It was twenty minutes into the movie when you could no longer hold it, inhaling deeply; you gently push off from his chest.

"Joel..." you call his attention away from the movie.

"Mhm?" Joel turns to give you his full attention, a frown creasing his brows when noticing how tense you suddenly seemed. "What's wrong, Sweetheart?"

"Nothing's wrong..." you stammer, head cast downward while wringing your hands. Letting out a tense in preparation, "actually-" you pause midway to look up at him then, "is there a specific reason for me not have met Sarah yet?"

"What?" Joel's frown deepens as he shifts further away from you.

*

Sometimes in an argument
It will show
When you go a little farther than
You meant to go

I know you don't mean the things
That you say
I just wanna ease the pain
That's in your way

But the woman before me must have been hard on you
'Cause that hurt in your eyes, I'll never put you through
Sometimes I think you must be talking to
The woman before me and you

"We've been together for over two years now... almost three" you remind him, "and not once have you offered for me to meet her."

Joel scoffs at your words, an irritated grin crossing his face while getting up from the couch to tower over you. "Where's all this suddenly comin' from?"

"I just wanna know why, Joel" you stand up to face him, "whenever I try to bring it up, you've always changed the topic. I understood in the beginning, but it's been two years..."

"Ya just being ridiculous now" Joel snorts, throwing his hands in the air to deflect the question.

"No, I'm not. It's a reasonable question and I'd like to know why?" you respond, grabbing onto his arm when he attempts to walk away from you.

Joel abruptly whirls around, shouting at you, "'cause, I ain't 'bout to disrupt my daughter's life by dumping some strange woman in it!"

"Well, shit..." you breath out in disbelief, dropping back to the couch. "Here I thought I was your girlfriend... guess I was wrong."

"Now don't be like that" Joel sighs, massaging at his temple.

"No, I get it now..." you mutter out, staring into the distance. "This is about Sarah's mother, right?"

"Don't..." Joel warns through gritted teeth, eyes darkening dangerously as he stares down at you.

"This isn't the same thing, Joel" you stare up at him pleadingly, "I'm not the same as her."