1.1

Our families were close, but that doesn't mean we were

Our families were close, but that doesn't mean we were. I used to believe that we would magically fall in love, but that never seemed to be the case. I saw him but he never saw me. What I believed wasn't only naive but a wicked obsession, it was never mutually and always one-sided. I had always wanted it to be me. I had always wanted to be the girl in every fairy tale ever written. However, the thing was I was never that! So many times I was told that he would eventually love me back. It was all a facade that our parents led me to believe.

We grew up together; we played together, we even took baths together. I was in love with my childhood friend. I would follow him to the moon, and back. When we both graduated from high school I was very sad that we would more than likely go to different universities. Imagine my surprise when I found out we were going to the same university. I was beyond happy, I mean who wouldn't be happy to be going to the same college as their beloved? Bringing me down from my bliss I saw Ian walking hand in hand with a girl I had never seen before. Did he forget I was here? Did he not see me standing right in front of the double doors like I always did after all his basketball practices? I know that lately I haven't been coming around. Mostly because he asked me not to, but this was the first time in a while that we had seen each other. In fact it's been three weeks and I hadn't heard a thing from him. It was like he was ignoring me.

"Ian" I called out as I started to follow the two, but I went unheard. "Ian" I called out once more, quickening my pace to catch up with them; they were so engrossed in their own conversation to even notice me walking behind them. "Ian," I say, grabbing onto his shoulder so he could finally acknowledge my presence.

"Yes?" Ian turns towards me; still holding onto the girl's hand. My heart broke a little. I know that my love is one-sided but he has never brought, flirted, or even held a girl's hand in front of me. I could tell he didn't want to see me but I missed him. I just wanted us to eat together and just hang out. The more he stared at me; the more uncomfortable I was.

"I was calling you, didn't you hear me?" I responded low enough for only him to hear, but with that girl being so close I knew she heard me as well.

"I heard you, clearly I was ignoring you because I am busy as you can see" Ian says gesturing for me to get lost. My heart started to feel heavy but I stayed strong. I didn't want to let him see that his words affected me. The girl kept looking at me like I wasn't supposed to be talking to him.

"Oh babe I forgot my phone in the gym." The girl who was holding Ian's hand says. I couldn't believe how beautiful she was, they actually looked good together. She had doe shaped eyes and long dark silky hair, that went well with her light tan skin.

"She was in the gym?" I ask Ian, feeling even more hurt then I already was. I thought he said he didn't like when girls sat in on his practices or was it only me? I noticed that he started to become distant some months ago, and I always believed it was due to stress from playing basketball and homework. He even started to reject my offers to do his homework for him; like I had done so many times in the past.