old habits die hard

It was christmas morning, the potter-black family was crowded in the living room, around the tree.

"Here, it's a little something." Harry handed a carefully wrapped package over to Tom, who opened it carefully. Inside, was a lovely black diary, with green and silver detailing around the pages. Instead of 'T.M.R' being stamped on the front cover, 'L.V'.

"Old habits die hard." Harry said with a laugh.

"Thank you, that's kind of you though." Tom said with a small smile, thankfully Sirius and James were making hot chocolate, otherwise he'd be terrorised for smiling "sweetly".

Tom handed his present to Harry, in turn. It was a gorgeous silver ring; with green details. On the inside of the ring band; Pity the ones that survive, without knowing how to live.

"I merely survived for so many years, decades, my whole life. But recently i've started to enjoy life and I imagine that's because of you, thank you." Tom said quietly.

"Thank you, you make me feel alive too." Harry replied with a little laugh.

Harry had gone earlier that week to Gringotts with James, "TOM? TOM? I—" was the result of an inheritance test.

"We've known you were soulmates since before THAT night, which is why we went to him in the first place. Even if we hadn't trusted Dumbledore, we probably wouldn't have gone to him otherwise." James explained when Harry looked puzzled.

"And you didn't tell me?" Harry was shocked by this information.

"We thought it would be easier to understand once you were older."

"Okay, fair enough. Is that why you always told me that you weren't angry at him anymore? So that I would be more accepting?" realisation dawning...

Since then, Harry had been a bit awkward around Tom. How was he supposed to act now? Ohhh gods, how he needed Draco's help...