Chapter One

Shane waking up to his own drool on the pillow wasn't his ideal choice for a good morning but once again he let himself drink his way to a nasty hangover.
He got up and rubbed at his sore neck before grabbing his tattered jacket to pull over his green jersey he slept in, not bothering to wash his face or brush his teeth. What would be the use of cleaning up when it wouldn't affect his mood at all?

"Morning, Shane," Marnie greets him with a straight face, not even looking in his direction, as the tired man walks out of his room. He runs a hand through his dark hair as an attempt to straighten it, an attempt to distract from the awkwardness and the blatant disappointment in his aunt's eyes.

"Hey," was all he mustered. He knew he was an embarrassment; he couldn't help it. Or if he could he didn't want to try. It was exhausting and the results took too long to get that he lost interest in becoming sober time and time again.
Shane refused to linger for Jas to wake up, he just walked out of the door after adjusting his sneakers. The weather wasn't too awful, but he still would rather it be less cold. Nothing was enough for Shane, and Shane wasn't enough for anything. He accepted that but it didn't mean he couldn't complain about it.
He kept his head down at his sneakers as he walked along the path and listened to the morning birds. His head pounded, although it seemed like a good distraction for him and he could linger on his pounding headache rather than his guilty subconscious.

A rush of air is pushed out from his lungs when he bumps into someone. Or... more like they bumped into him. "Watch it," he growled under his breath, tired of people in his way. He was surprised to notice that they actually were a young woman, her unusual hair color and small height caught him off guard. He expected it to be Alex.
"I'm Bambi!" She introduced herself, a smile on her face and her hand out. He scrunched his nose in confusion and looked at her hand then back at her bright eyes. And then walked right passed her to continue his journey.
Shane looked behind him and he watched the young woman go into the store. He looked down at his feet, stomping his way to JoJo Mart.
"Nobody ever watches where they're going..." he mumbled, feeling more sorry for himself as he draws closer to the hellish place he calls 'his job'.

Although he knew that the woman wasn't the one to blame, he couldn't help it. Shane developed the nasty habit of blaming people if he could; anything to push the blame from himself. Confrontation scared him. Confronting himself scared him.
The thoughts swirled in his brain as he pushed the door open to the store and he walked to the back, ready to stock any items on the shelves, and ignore any customers that needed help if he could.
"Shane Cooper! Man of the hour!" The jarring voice of his boss made him grind his teeth.
He picked a box full of sunflower oil up and blinked slowly as he watched the short round man approach him. "Yeah?" He raised an eyebrow.

"Unfortunately, we had to made some arrangements... you'll have to fill in for your coworker's shift tomorrow... but yay! A double shift is always fun!" He put his hands behind his back and smiled at Shane.

Shane's lidded eyes widened and he furrowed his eyebrows, "I always work a double shift-"

"A triple shift! How fun!" And with that, he walked away. Shane looked down at the box he was carrying, tempted to drop it on the floor, break everything around him, but he simply walked to the correct aisle and started putting things on the shelf. He never followed through.
Is was like a curse on him.

He hated his life.