Chapter Two

Shane walked in his aunt's house. His hair was tousled and falling into his eyes and his clothes somehow looked more disheveled than before.
Marnie stood behind her register, counting the day's cash and not bothering to look up.  He walked past her.

"Are you gonna go tell Jas goodnight?"
He gritted his teeth. He loves Jas but seeing her made him feel guilty... made him feel like a bad person for not giving her the life she deserves. Hell, half his money went to bills but a majority went to his expensive addictions. Alcohol, the occasional smoke, and unhealthy junk food. But he refused to acknowledge his money sucking addictions, much less the fact they sucked his soul away as well.

"Sure," he reluctantly said, changing directions and headed to Jas' room.

"At least pretend to be happy..." Marnie murmured. Shane didn't miss it, but he chose to ignore it. Or at least not respond.

Her door was opened a smidge. Shane gave it a small knock before opening and saw Jas playing with her small family figure set. She looked up at him. No smile or waving, just a confuse face as if to ask 'what is it?'.
"Hey, kid."
Shane crouched down to her level, mustering all his energy to give a small smile.
Jas returned the smile with a polite grin of her own and looked back down to her toys.

"Hello," she responds.

Shane looks to his right for a moment and then back at her. The conversation seemed between a stranger and not an uncle and his niece. The guilty feeling ate at him.
"How was your day?"

Jas shrugged and fiddled with her doll's hair, her smile now back to a straight lips. "Just like any other day." She responded. Shane exhales loudly but stands and gives a small wave of his hand, "alright, uh, goodnight."
Jas nodded in response as he shut the door.
Guilt seemed to be in his throat now as he walked into his bedroom and immediately opened a can of beer, chugging it as if it could wash the bitter taste off his tongue.
It wasn't any use. Shane can't control anything anymore.
The can was empty. Another replaced it. He drank that down as swiftly as the next, crushing it and throwing it to the side not caring where it went. Shane laid down in bed and shut his eyes to eventually drift off.

***

"Goddammit," Shane murmurs as the sunlight pours from his window. He had forgotten to close the curtains last night and now he's paying the price. Getting up with a grunt, he shuts it and checks his phone. An even longer and frustrated grunt escaped his lips when he realized he had to leave for work; for a longer shift.
Shane slips on his shoes, the only thing he bothered to take off, and once again walked out without any personal hygiene attempts.
Marnie isn't there but he just walked out anyways.
Hands in his pockets and his eyebrows furrowed in their usual place, he walked the path to the awful corporation.
The birds were cheerfully singing, making him all the more annoyed.

As if life couldn't be worse, his nose crinkled when he saw the girl from last time. She was bent over, watching the fishes. Shane studied her for a second and acknowledged her smaller height, realizing she was the first person he's seen in this town that's shorter than him. Most were same height or taller and it greatly bothered him. But Shane had many insecurities and couldn't keep up with them all.

"Move," he growled, his body on autopilot.

"Hey!" The woman straightens up and repeats her behavior, "I'm Bambi!"
Shane raised an eyebrow and blinked in surprise. She was still being patient.
"And you are?"

He hesitated. He didn't understand her motive for being so nice. It felt weird. It felt new.
"Shane. Move."
The alcoholic must be causing that, surely.

Bambi did as she was told but when he continued, she accompanied him. Shane side eyed her.
"Going to work huh?" She asked, her hands behind her back.
Shane huffs and doesn't respond. He felt weird, she was making him feel weird. He realized she was still yapping and then interrupted with, "can you leave me alone?"
That seemed to do it. She stopped. "Have a good day at work!"

Shane ducked his head. If Bambi could see it, his face would be slightly red from the embarrassment. He never had an interaction like that and didn't realize she would be so persistent. It bothered him.

The whole situation bothered him.