Chapter 4

Ace stayed by the corner, swirling his wine glass

Ace stayed by the corner, swirling his wine glass. Tuxedos and dresses chattering filled the luminous ballroom, split in half by the white-clothed buffet table.

 Some noblemen occasionally gave Ace the closeted gay stare and would look away, sometimes blushing, when he waved or smiled at them— Reid wasn't any different. Even though suffocated by pretty damsels he would catch a glimpse of Ace at any given chance. 

Tristan walked to Ace, and Asher dragged his feet, his brows crumpled.
No, not him again.

"It's good to see you again," Tristan shook Ace’s hand.

"Likewise," he said.

Asher glared at Ace, he tapped his foot continuously.
Can we go now? I'm tired of looking at this face.

"I hope you're both having a great time," Ace said.

"Yes, we are," Tristan replied. He turned his head as Asher moved to the buffet table. "Hmm... bye," Tristan said, then ran to Asher.

Asher took a piece of cake. "Hmm! Nice flavour, but I still haven't tasted any food better than yours."

Tristan chuckled. "Thanks." His eyes narrowed to the vanilla icing at the corner of Asher's mouth. 

"You have a little something-" Tristan brushed his lips with a thumb, then licked it.
...

Reid was bombarded with a lot of compliments and questions from the girls.

"Ladies, please, excuse me,"  he walked to the bathroom and sneaked through the back door outside. He peeked through the window then found Ace close to the middle exit. Reid moved to that area and swiftly pulled him.

"Hey!" Ace half-yelled with a frown, then darted to the person, his face brightened up immediately. "Hey, it's you."

"Yes, I'm sorry for yanking-"

"No problem," Ace smirked. "Hiding?"

Reid rubbed the back of his neck. "S-Something like that."

They strolled around the building balcony in silence.

"What's your best thing about parties?" Ace said.

"I don't like parties," Reid said.

"It's obvious," he chuckled.

"What about you?"

Ace glimpsed at him with a smug. "The men, beautiful men like you." 

Reid flushed, he looked away with a shy smile. "Oh."

They leaned on the silver rail and spent their time conversing. The party came to an end, and people began to leave for their homes. 

A man ran to them. "Sir Reid, the carriage is ready." He darted to Ace wide-eyed then bowed. "Good evening, your grace."