Each day is brighter than the last

The phone rang in Janis's quiet apartment, the familiar sound cutting through the evening stillness. She glanced at her phone, recognizing Regina's number with a mixture of concern and anticipation. When Janis answered, her voice was filled with immediate worry.

"Regina, is everything okay?" Janis asked, her concern evident in her tone.

Regina's voice trembled with raw emotion on the other end of the line. "Janis, I need to talk to you... about Aria."

Janis's mind raced, her concern deepening at Regina's tone. "Of course, Regina. What's going on?"

Regina's voice was heavy with emotion. "I... I think something's wrong, Janis. Aria... she's not who I thought she was."

Janis listened intently as Regina shared the troubling events of the evening—the sudden outburst, the verbal onslaught, and the physical blow that had left Regina shaken and in tears. As Regina recounted the details, Janis's worry grew with each word.

"Regina, I'm so sorry you had to go through that," Janis said, her voice filled with empathy. "You deserve so much better than this. Have you thought about leaving?"

Regina hesitated, her voice wavering. "I... I asked her to leave, but... I don't know what to do next. I'm scared, Janis."

Janis took a deep breath, her mind racing with concern for her friend. "Regina, listen to me. You need to prioritize your safety and well-being. Can you come over? Let's talk in person."

Regina agreed, her voice tinged with relief. Janis guided her through the directions, her heart heavy with worry for her friend.

When Regina arrived at Janis's apartment, the relief on her face was palpable yet overshadowed by lingering fear. Janis welcomed her inside, enveloping her in a comforting embrace.

"Regina, I'm here for you," Janis reassured her, her voice steady. "Let's figure this out together."

As they settled into Janis's living room, Regina recounted the events of the evening once more, her voice trembling with emotion. Janis listened intently, her concern deepening with each detail.

"Regina, I think we need to take this seriously," Janis said gently. "Can I see your arm?"

Regina hesitated before rolling up her sleeve, revealing the faint impression of a handprint on her skin. Janis's heart sank at the sight, her worry reaching a new level of urgency.

"Regina, this is serious," Janis said firmly. "I think we should contact someone who can help."

Regina nodded, her gaze filled with a mixture of fear and determination. Janis reached for her phone, dialing a number with practiced urgency.

"Hello, this is Janis," she said into the phone. "I need to speak with someone about a situation involving domestic violence."

As Janis spoke with the crisis hotline, Regina sat beside her, her emotions in turmoil yet grateful for Janis's unwavering support. Together, they navigated the uncertainties ahead, determined to prioritize Regina's safety and reclaim her sense of self-worth.

In the days that followed, Regina leaned on Janis and her other friends for support, embarking on a journey of healing and empowerment. With each step, Regina grew stronger, her resolve unyielding in the face of adversity.

Through it all, Janis remained a steadfast anchor in Regina's stormy sea, a beacon of hope and unwavering support. Together, they faced the shadows of Regina's past and emerged stronger than ever, united in their pursuit of a brighter, safer future.

And as Regina reclaimed her sense of self-worth and independence, she knew that she was not alone—that she had a circle of friends who would stand by her side, no matter what challenges lay ahead.