Chapter 4

Then, the next day.

- Hey. Toshizo is calling for you, Sanosuke says.

- The time has come, I say in my head. My entire body goes rigid. I straighten up the front of my kimono.

- Hurry up, Sanosuke says.

- Aye, sir, I say. I take off my apron, and walk toward Toshizo's room, anxious to find what awaits me there.

- Excuse me. It's Kira, I say. I speak softly, and then enter the room. Uncharacteristically for Toshizo, I find him lounging comfortably. He gestures with his chin for me to come near.

- Aye, I say.

- Don't be so nervous. It's nothing to be concerned about, Toshizo says.

- Be that as it may, this is my first time doing anything of this nature, I say.

- You'll get used to it in no time. I'm trying to give you an experience you're sure to enjoy. So don't look so disappointed, Toshizo says. I feel like I might start crying at any moment.

- If you've got any reservations, now's the time, Toshizo says.

- I'm sorry, I say.

- Hey. You said you were willing to do anything, after all, Toshizo says. I've started shaking, I'm so nervous. Toshizo leans in closer. Realizing the time really has come, I squeeze my eyes shut.

- You are going to go and eat soba noodles. Now. You'll go alone. There's a place along the Kamo river. It's called Otento, Toshizo says. I slowly open my eyes.

- Soba noodles, I ask. It takes a moment for Toshizo's order to really sink in.

- Um, sorry. What are you trying to say, exactly, I ask.

- Do you need me to draw you a diagram. How can I put this. I'm not so starved for the attention of women that I'd sink so low, he says. My face immediately starts getting hot. I'm so embarrassed by my mistake. If all I have to do is eat some soba noodles, that will be simple enough.

- Um, perhaps someone could accompany me, I say.

- I said you go alone, Toshizo says.

- But, I say.

- Then I'll call Soji here right now, and we'll settle this how I originally intended, Toshizo says.

- No. I'll do it. I'll go alone, I say.

- It's midday. I'll be alright, I say in my head. At least, that's what I tell myself, as I walk out of Toshizo's room.

I go to fetch my purse, and on my way back to the main room, Soji beckons for me from his room.

- Soji, I ask.

- He tell you to go to Otento, Soji asks.

- Yes, I say.

- Want me to go with you, Soji asks. He seems more than willing to accompany me.

- No way. You'll just get in more trouble. You're still under house arrest, I say.

- It'll be fine, Soji says.

- Oh. It will, will it, Sanosuke asks. Sanosuke appears. All it takes is one sharp glare from Sanosuke. I know he means business. In the end, as much I wish I could, there is no way I can bring him with me.

- My orders today are, specifically, to go alone, I say.

- Sanosuke, you know where this place is, Soji asks.