Chapter 7

The next day. I'm bringing Toshizo his laundry when I recall what Soji said to me the night before. " That burn is what turned him into the demon"

- Demon, huh, I ask. I look back over the facts I know. The way he commanded me to go to Otento, and how he'd hear no discussion about it. The unrelenting way he gives orders to his men, and the sneak attack on Kaisenya. And of course, the way he encouraged them to kill anyone other than the Soji imposter.

- In a way, it seems fitting that he'd bear such a grisly-looking burn, I whisper. But I have to wonder what possibly could have caused it. Was he involved in some incident. Or could someone have intentionally burned him.

- Anyway, why am I wasting so much energy obsessing over him, I ask in my head.

- There are so many more fun things I'd rather be thinking about, I say. I happen to glance over my shoulder, and see Sanosuke chopping wood in front of the baths.

- Now that I think about it, Toshizo always insists on bathing alone, I say in my head.

- I wonder, I say.

- He doesn't want anyone else to see that scar on his back. Is that why he won't let the others come near him, I ask in my head.

- Ah, I say. Just as I let out a sigh, the door to Toshizo's room flies open.

- Come in. We need to talk, Toshizo says.

- I'm guessing this will have something to do with me seeing his scar last night, I say in my head.

- Alright, I say. I do as he says, and obediently go to his room.

- What is it we need to discuss, I ask. I hand him his laundry, and take a seat, as his eyes are urging me to do.

- I need you to make another trip to Otento, he says.

- Oh, I say.

- Am I not making myself clear. Go. To Otento. Now, he says. I have a bad feeling about this, and instinctively, I put my guard up. And though I assume I won't get an answer, I try to inquire about the reason for this trip.

- Why do you need me to go there. I was under the impression that the case of the Soji imposter was closed, I say.

- Consider this your reward. You work hard every day, he says. As he says it, his face is a terrifying grin.

- That can't be the real reason, I say in my head.

- And what would happen if I told you I don't want to go, I ask.

- Think about it. I'm sure you can come up with the answer to that on your own, he says.

- Even though it's supposed to be my reward, I'll die if I refuse it, I ask. He draws nearer as he continues glaring at me.

- Are you going, or not, he asks.

- Fine. I'll go, I say. Though I respond forcefully, I'm filled with a creeping sense of unease.

- I can't shake the feeling that something dangerous is waiting for me there, I say in my head. But I'm not sure I'll be any safer if I choose not to go. And so, I agree to visit the restaurant again, though I'm far from enthusiastic about it.

- Yesterday, I was starting to think Toshizo and I were on the same page. But that was foolish of me. I have absolutely no idea what this man is thinking, I say in my head.

When I leave the room, Soji is standing there.

- Planning to hang around in Toshizo's room again, I ask.