Chapter 5

- Alright. Now all that's left to do is report in my assignment, I say in my head. As soon as I return to base, I head straight to Toshizo's room. But when I peek inside, I see Soji, fast asleep.

- Uh, oh. Sorry. Have I got the wrong room, I whisper.

- Nope. This is Toshizo's room, Soji says.

- And even though you have your own room to sleep in, I say.

- This one's a lot more spacious. Helps me to relax, Soji says.

- Well, that's fair enough, I suppose. Um, where is Toshizo, I ask.

- Behind you, Soji says.

- What, I shout in my head.

- Get out of here, Soji, Toshizo says.

- You scared me, I say. I didn't hear the sound of his footsteps as he approached. He appears silently, and tries to shoo Soji away.

- You are under house arrest. That doesn't mean you're free to wander around base, Toshizo says.

- There aren't any other soldiers around here. It's not like anyone's going to notice, Soji says. For a man who had narrowly been spared from a death penalty, Soji is acting pretty nonchalant.

- Would you just get out of here, Toshizo asks.

- Fine, I'm going. See you later, Kira, Soji says. With a friendly wave of his hand, Soji returns to his own room. Toshizo goes to take a seat in his usual position when he glances at me out of the corner of his eye.

- Tell me. Were those Dumplings tasty, Toshizo asks.

- How did he, I ask in my head. My heart leaps into my throat. It feels as if I'm being backed into a corner. Then, all of a sudden, the image of Hajime, as he escorted me home, pops into my head.

- Well, to be honest, a friend of mine, I say.

- Stick to the information I ordered you to gather, Toshizo says.

- Right, I say. He apparently isn't interested in hearing about anything but the mission. But when I try to recall my visit to Otento, the only thing I can think of is Shin.

- You're turning red. Why. Look, I don't care what else happened today. Tell me about your assignment, Toshizo says.

- Aye, Sir. The restaurant is run by a man named Shin, and there are two other people who work there. Anyway, this Shin. He's really attractive, and kind. He gave me a little side dish, even though I didn't order it. They seem to have a few regular customers. Shin seems to be friendly with all of them, and they all seem to love him. Oh, and one other thing about him, I say. The rage on his face is building to such a degree that I can practically feel it emanating from him.

- You useless woman, Toshizo says.

- But, I thought you wanted to know about Otento. Or were you only trying to find out about how good the soba there is, I ask.

- Ugh. You are far more bird-brained than I even thought possible, Toshizo says. It's becoming clear to me that he isn't interested in a restaurant review.

- You have one more chance. Fail me again, and I assure you, Soji will not survive, Toshizo says.

- What. But I thought I'd finished my, I say.

- Who ever said that you'd only receive one assignment, Toshizo asks.

- So, what exactly am I being sent there to find out, I ask. But before dignifying me with an answer, Toshizo storms out of the room. With his back turned to me.