Chapter 6

All I can do is wait for Toshizo's return. I wait along with Kondo, and Soji, who is still under house arrest to appease the Aizu. Apparently, it is customary for Kondo not to accompany the others in times like these.

- With such a small squad of soldiers, why didn't you go too, Kondo, I ask.

- Hey. If anything were to happen to Kondo, that would be the end of the Shinsengumi. When Toshizo tells him to stay behind, that's how you know the situation is extremely dangerous, Soji says.

- But I still think that letting such a small group go, I say.

- They'll be fine. I have no doubt that Toshi will lead them home again, Kodno says. I look kondo in the eyes, and see just how full of certainty he is. I find myself beginning to believe as well.

- Oh, that reminds me. Here, Soji says. He hands me a small package, wrapped in pretty paper.

- What is this, I ask. I open the package.

- Wow. How cute. A sweet, made to look like a little plum, I ask.

- Supposedly quite delicious. Made by an exclusive purveyor for the Imperial Court, Soji says.

- I'm not used to this kind of luxury. Wow, thank you so much, I say. As I accept the gift, Kondo chuckles.

- How about giving her the whole story, Kondo asks.

- Hmm, I thought she'd enjoy it more if I didn't. Oh well, Soji says.

- Um, what do you mean, I ask.

- That's from Toshizo. He said to give it to you, Soji says.

- You're joking, I say.

- That snarling demon thought to give me a gift, I ask in my head.

- Sorry. That probably sounded rude. I didn't mean it like that, I say.

- Haha. Quite alright, Kondo says.

- Say what you will about him, he definitely goes out of his way to recognize those that do good work, Soji says.

- I see, I say.

- He's not nearly as cold-hearted as you seem to think, Miss Chen. Which reminds me. There's one more thing, Kondo says. Then, Kondo hands me another small package. This time, of medicine.

- That's Ishida's powdered medicine, Kondo says.

- This is the stuff Toshizo drank that time he got injured, right, I ask.

- He must have noticed that I got hurt, too, when I scraped up my hands and arms, I say in my head. I gingerly touch my wounds.

- Whoa, looks like you're hurt pretty badly. I hadn't even noticed, Soji says.

- Yeah, I fell to the ground, and got scratched up a bit, I say.

- Sweets and medicine. This is unexpectedly generous for Toshizo, I say in my head.

- Well, let me go right away and get some water, I say.

- Wait, Soji says.

- Hm. Why, I ask.

- That stuff is incredibly bitter to drink, Soji says.

- Oh. Well, sure it is. Most medicines are, I say. I've never heard of any pleasant-tasting medicine.

- Ah yes, Miss Chen, you're well-informed when it comes to medical matters, Kondo says.

- But, Kondo, there's no proof that this stuff actually works, is there, Soji asks.