ch ; 17

- - ┈┈∘┈˃̶༒ 17 ༒ ˂̶┈∘┈┈ - -
Passage

Kory stared at the blank computer screen, the familiar thrill of the chase replaced by a gnawing emptiness. The cases, yanked away with no explanation, left her adrift. Sungchan's words, though kind, couldn't mend the frustration that clawed at her.

"Miss- Nuna, are you okay?" Sungchan's voice broke through her reverie, concern etched in his features as he glanced at her.

Kory forced a smile, but it didn't reach her eyes. "Yeah, I'm fine," she replied, her voice lacking its usual conviction.

Sungchan frowned, clearly unconvinced. "You don't seem fine," he observed, his tone gentle.

Kory sighed, running a hand through her hair in frustration. "I just...I can't shake this feeling of disappointment," she admitted, her voice tinged with sadness. "I was so close to cracking those cases, and now...it's like it was all for nothing."

Sungchan nodded sympathetically, his gaze softening. "I understand," he said quietly. "But you're a great detective, Kory. You'll bounce back from this setback stronger than ever."

Kory managed a small smile, grateful for Sungchan's words of encouragement. "Thanks, Sungchan-ah," she said, her voice tinged with gratitude. "I needed to hear that."

As Sungchan returned to his own work, Kory turned her attention back to her computer screen, determined to push through the lingering sense of defeat and reclaim her sense of purpose. She may have been knocked down, but she refused to stay down for long.

-

After a few moments of contemplation at her desk, Kory decided she needed a break.

With a sigh, she rose from her chair and made her way to the nearby café. The familiar scent of freshly brewed coffee greeted her as she stepped inside, offering a small semblance of comfort amidst the chaos swirling in her mind.

"Here's your latte," the barista chirped, shattering her internal storm. Kory mumbled a thanks, the warmth of the cup doing little to dispel the chill of uncertainty.

The rich, creamy flavor enveloped her senses, providing a brief moment of respite from the turmoil of her thoughts.

As she stepped back out onto the bustling street, Kory couldn't help but feel a sense of restlessness gnawing at her insides.

She longed for something to distract her from the weight of her worries, something to pull her out of the suffocating fog of disappointment that clouded her mind.

And then, she saw him.

The man she had bumped into at the cafe just days before. He was walking briskly down the sidewalk, his pace hurried and purposeful.

Kory's heart skipped a beat as recognition flooded through her. She had never forgotten the encounter at the cafe, and now, seeing him again, she couldn't shake the feeling that there was more to it than just a chance meeting.

Without conscious thought, Kory quickened her pace, determined to confront him. Answers, any answers, were better than this suffocating fog of doubt.

-

Hayez cursed under his breath. He'd hoped their cafe encounter was a one-time thing. Now, seeing her again, a knot of apprehension tightened in his gut. He ducked into a shadowed alley, his mind racing for an escape.

He quickened his pace, his heart pounding in his chest as he glanced over his shoulder to see her behind him. He cursed under his breath, cursing his luck for running into her again.

He ducked into a nearby alleyway, hoping to lose her in the maze of narrow passages and shadowed corners. His mind raced with thoughts of how to evade her without raising suspicion.

Kory, determined to catch up to the man who had mysteriously appeared in her life twice now, followed him into the alleyway. She called out to him, her voice echoing off the walls of the narrow passage.

"Hey, wait!" she called, her footsteps echoing as she closed the distance between them.

Hayez's heart pounded in his chest as he broke into a run, his footsteps echoing loudly against the pavement. He knew he had to lose her, but the narrow confines of the alleyway offered little room for escape.

Kory quickened her pace, determined not to let him get away. She rounded a corner and caught sight of him up ahead, his figure disappearing into the shadows.

"Stop!" she shouted, her voice ringing out in the empty alleyway.

Finally, after what felt like an eternity of chasing him through the winding streets, Kory rounded a corner and came face to face with  him.

He skidded to a halt, his eyes wide with surprise as he realized she had caught up to him.

"Who are you?" Kory demanded, her voice stern as she confronted the mysterious stranger.

Hayez hesitated, his mind racing as he searched for a way out of the situation. He knew he couldn't reveal his true identity to her, not with so much at stake.

"I'm just passing through," he replied, his voice tight with tension.

Kory narrowed her eyes, studying him carefully. There was something about him that didn't quite add up, something that set off alarm bells in the back of her mind.

"Well, you certainly seem to be in a hurry,"

Kory narrowed her eyes, his nervous demeanor fueling her suspicions. "Seems awfully convenient," she countered. "Don't you remember me? I spilled my coffee on you? You seemed pretty hurried then too."

Hayez shifted uncomfortably, his gaze darting around the alley as he searched for an escape route. He knew he had to get away from her, but he also knew he couldn't afford to attract any more attention to himself.

"I told you, I'm just passing through," he repeated, his voice tense.

Before Kory could respond, he darted past her, disappearing into the shadows of the alleyway once again. She watched him go, a sense of unease settling over her as she wondered what he was hiding.

-

Continued.