ch ; 56

- - ┈┈∘┈˃̶༒ 56 ༒ ˂̶┈∘┈┈ - -
Roots

The air in the house crackled with a tension as thick as fog. The unspoken standoff between Kory and Hayez was a constant presence, a weight felt by everyone under the same roof.

Frustration gnawed at Kory, a relentless ache that mirrored the confusion swirling in her mind. Why was Hayez shutting her out?

Instead of seeking answers, Kory found herself mirroring his behavior, their interactions reduced to wary glances and studiously avoided paths. It was a silent battle of wills, neither willing to budge or break the frosty barrier that had formed.

One evening, alone in her room with the weight of their strained relationship heavy on her chest, Kory sifted through her memories, searching for the source of the shift. It felt like a sudden earthquake, leaving her bewildered and lost.

Had she said something? Done something? Or was it the near-kiss by the beach, a memory that still sent shivers down her spine? The warmth of his breath, the unspoken desire hanging heavy in the air – why the sudden retreat then? Hayez had been the one to initiate the closeness.

Exhausted and frustrated, Kory sought solace in helping Andy and Rhys with Mark's therapy sessions. As Rhys dispatched her to the kitchen for a cold compress, she walked down the hallway, each step echoing the turmoil within her.

Upon entering the kitchen, The sight of Hayez in the kitchen nearly made her turn back. His gaze met hers briefly, a flicker of something she couldn't decipher before he looked away, focusing on his meal as if she were invisible.

A surge of anger and disappointment lanced through her. With a slam that reverberated through the empty room, Kory shut the fridge door.

Stealing one last glance at Hayez, his stoic facade a mask that revealed nothing, she stormed out, the weight of their unresolved tension a heavy burden on her shoulders.

-

The next morning, sunlight bathed Mark's room in a soft glow as Kory entered. He greeted her with a serious yet welcoming expression. Settling into the chair beside his bed, she braced herself for their conversation.

Mark wasted no time. "I actually wanted to talk to you about your plans to leave," he said, his voice measured.

Kory met his gaze directly. "Yes, I've made up my mind. I'll be leaving by the first week of next month, as long as NCTECH remains untouched by the police by the end of this month."

Mark nodded, a thoughtful crease forming between his brows. "I understand. And I respect your decision, Detective."

"It's funny, isn't it?" Kory mused, a wistful smile playing on her lips. "When we first crossed paths, I despised you all for kidnapping me, for disrupting my life as a detective. But now, I find myself actually enjoying the freedom..."

Her smile widened, tinged with a newfound appreciation. "Even though I'll be back with the police, I won't forget the impact you've all had on me. You've shown me a different perspective, and for that, I'll always be grateful."

Mark's expression softened, a sense of remorse flickering in his eyes. "I want to sincerely apologize, Kory. For bringing you into our world, for taking you away from your old life."

Kory shook her head, reaching out to place a reassuring hand on his arm. "There's no need for apologies, Mark. We've all made choices, and mine led me here. But now, it's time for me to move on. Maybe, I did need this...to see the other perspective."