ch ; 42

- - ┈┈∘┈˃̶༒ 42 ༒ ˂̶┈∘┈┈ - -
Differences

The sterile silence of the car was shattered as Hayez peeled off his mask and hoodie, revealing a face etched with weariness and a hint of hidden vulnerability. Kory stole a glance at him, still reeling from the encounter with Jinwook.

Turning her attention to Jinwook, who had disappeared into the FBI building, Kory couldn't shake off her disbelief. "I can't believe he works with criminals," she muttered under her breath.

Hayez, a sardonic chuckle escaping his lips, turned to her. "Well, pot, meet kettle, Detective," he remarked, his tone laced with amusement.

Kory bristled, shooting him a withering glare. "As if I had a choice! You kidnapped me, remember?"

Hayez's response was blunt. "I could've killed you if I had the chance."

A shiver ran down Kory's spine as the weight of his truth settled upon her. She had been living on borrowed time, a pawn in a dangerous game. The knowledge sent a cold dread coursing through her veins.

She couldn't help but wonder about the depths of darkness that lurked within Hayez, hidden beneath his stoic exterior.

What kind of man was capable of such actions, of walking the thin line between life and death with such ease?

And more importantly, what did it say about her own morality, to be entangled in this dangerous dance with someone who could have been her executioner?

Kory hesitated before speaking up. "At our first mission, you could've left me to die," she said, her voice tinged with bitterness.

He slammed on the brakes at a red light, the car lurching forward. Kory watched him closely, sensing a silent battle raging within him.

"Why did you save me then?" Kory pressed, her gaze fixed on him.

"Because…" he began, his voice gruff, "You're a woman."

The answer was a slap in the face. Kory's cheeks burned with indignation. "So, what? Because I'm a woman, my life is somehow less expendable to you?" she shot back, her voice laced with incredulity.

Hayez remained silent, his expression unreadable. The silence stretched, thick with unspoken tension.

"It's not that simple," he finally muttered, his voice strained.

But Kory wasn't ready to back down. "Then explain it to me!" she demanded, her frustration boiling over. "You're involved in all these illegal activities, yet killing a woman is a line you won't cross? Makes no sense!"

Hayez remained silent, his silence speaking volumes. Kory knew there was more to his decision than he was letting on, but she couldn't shake off the feeling of resentment towards his selective morality.

As the car idled at the curb, the weight of their conversation hung heavy between them, casting a shadow over their uneasy alliance.

Hayez let out an exasperated breath, his patience wearing thin. "Will you just shut your damn mouth?" he grumbled, his frustration evident in his tone.

"I won't shut up until I get some answers. Who are you really?" she retorted, her voice edged with determination.

Hayez sighed, his breath ragged, as if the effort of explaining himself was a burden. "Look, you wouldn't understand."

"Try me," she challenged, her voice firm despite the tremor in her hands.

Hayez let out a frustrated sigh, running a hand through his hair in exasperation. He knew that Kory was stubborn and persistent, qualities that both irritated and intrigued him.