[ volume one, chapter ten: we are two, you and i]

we're almost at volume two!! three more chapters to go, hooray!! sorry if this is short..

tw for implied self harm.

Balloon stared at his sleeves. - he hadn't been focusing on what Bomb was saying. They weren't in class anymore, instead sitting under a tree outside, getting to know each other. This was his new friend - his first friend, if you didn't count Pickle. He didn't really know if Marshmallow was his friend, so he'd leave her aside for now.

"A-Are you listening?" His gaze snapped away from his sleeves, looking up at his friend, an awkward smile on his face. He didn't mean t zone out for so long.

"Yes, uh - sorry, I just got caught in my thoughts." He'd respond.

He had never liked himself.

The matches which had left scars on his arms, which still held up today - they made him look horrid. His arms had more than his legs, which you didn't see much anyway. Looking back at them brought him back to a time where he didn't want to be alive, a time where his life wasn't in the best of places. Somewhere you wouldn't want to be.

Sometimes he didn't even bother to look at himself in the mirror, while other days he sat and stared at the state of his body. Long scars ran down his knee, while shorter ones were near the thighs and arms. The closer to his legs, the deeper the scars had been. Some were clean, while others were rough and raggedy, bumpy around the eyes, dried up with blood. He was most affected by the one who put the match on his skin.

Himself.

Bomb was better company than Balloon would've thought. Even if things were still currently a little awkward, they were friends. They could sympathise with each other - they had only met an hour ago, but the connection felt natural. They'd eventually learn a bit more about themselves, but now, they would start at square one, a clean slate.

They make two, a duo.

----

end.