chapter 10

Henry POV

"Yeah, we are a couple."

Hearing Walter say it aloud sent a wave of relief through Henry, and he couldn't help but smile. It was official. Walter was his boyfriend. Even though they didn't want others to know, it felt amazing to finally acknowledge what they were.

"That's wonderful," Wilhelm said, genuinely happy for them. "Also... it feels nice not to be the only one dating boys."

Wilhelm was right. Now they had someone they could talk to about it. For both Henry and Wilhelm, this part of their identity was still new—uncharted territory. But now, at least, they weren't alone.

Later that evening, Henry and Walter made their way back to Walter's room. Walter closed the door behind them, leaning against it as he stared at Henry with a playful look.

"What the hell was that?! You can't be serious," Walter said, still staring, though a smile tugged at his lips.

"What do you mean?" Henry chuckled.

"Come on, you asked me to be your boyfriend in the library!" Walter exclaimed, though he couldn't keep the grin off his face.

"Oh, was that not what you wanted?" Henry teased.

"Nooo!" Walter laughed.

"Don't you want to be my boyfriend?" Henry continued with a mischievous grin.

"Of course I do! But you could've asked in a, you know..."

"In a what?" Henry prompted, grinning wider. "Go on, I'm listening."

"A more... romantic way," Walter admitted sheepishly.

Henry stepped closer, taking both of Walter's hands in his. He locked eyes with him, his voice soft.

"Walter..." Henry whispered, leaning in slightly.

"What are you up to?" Walter whispered back, suddenly speechless, his gaze locked on Henry.

"I've known you for a long time," Henry began. "And I've always known you were special. But these past few weeks... I've realized just how special you are to me. I love everything about you—your eyes, your hair, your lips, your hands, your arms... everything. I love you with all my heart, Walter."

As their eyes remained locked, Henry noticed Walter's cheeks turning pink.

"So... if you feel the same—and I don't need to ask, because you can't stop kissing me—" Henry teased, grinning as Walter blushed even more. "I love you so much, Walter... and I'm asking you again..."

He took a step closer.

"Will you be my boyfriend?"

Walter's face broke into a wide smile. He placed his hands gently on either side of Henry's face, his touch warm and tender.

"Yes, Henry, I'll be your boyfriend. I love you so much."

Walter leaned in for a kiss, but Henry beat him to it, pushing him gently against the wall and capturing his lips in a kiss filled with passion and promise.

The following weekend, Henry and Walter had their first official date planned. They were going to town and wanted to watch a movie later. It was a sunny day, though a bit chilly, perfect for a day out.

Henry had been searching through his closet for nearly 30 minutes, trying to find the right outfit. He knew Walter would love him no matter what he wore, but Henry couldn't shake the self-consciousness. He'd been bullied all his life—comments about his hair, his clothes, and his body always haunted him. But today wasn't about those insecurities. Today was about Walter, and he didn't want anything to ruin it.