12: How different a Sin can be.

Eness had awoken to a stranger in her chamber

Eness had awoken to a stranger in her chamber. Her first instinct was to grab a nearby lamp and threaten them with it to find out why they were in her chamber.

But she immediately deserted the idea when the person quickly introduced herself as her handmaiden, Eloise.

Eloise was a young looking demoness with brown curls, chestnut brown eyes, fair skin, and a kind smile on her lips.

Eness sighed in relief that she wasn't in the midst of an intruder, but the relief was soon replaced by realisation when she looked at Eloise again.

A handmaiden? The emperor couldn't be more obvious if he tried. He probably got Eloise assigned to her to watch her movements and report back to him. Eness thought and scoffed.

She met Eloise's eyes and said calmly, "my apologies, miss Eloise, but I do not need or desire a handmaiden. You may be excused now."

Eloise pursed her lips and shook her head. "I'm sorry, my lady, but the emperor was very clear on my assignment to you. If I leave now, he could punish me for my insolence."

"Miss Eloise, the emperor may have assigned you to me, but I do not need your assistance. Surely he can't punish you for that." Eness implored.

Unexpectedly, Eloise fell to her knees and pleaded with Eness.

"Please, my lady. I really need this job, I can't risk losing it." Her eyes were teary and full of desperation.

Eness glanced down at her, pity swelling in her heart. She never had a handmaiden, she and her sisters had servants back in Pyrefall, but never a private maid. Even if she had no desire for one now, she still couldn't find it in her to reject someone who was grovelling at her feet.

She sighed, and helped Eloise up. "Fine. I look forward to your assistance, Eloise."

Eloise smiled gently, her eyes grateful. "And I look forward to serving you, my lady."

Eness got up from the bed and went into the wardrobe, Eloise at her heels.

Eness' eyes scoured through the clothes, looking for something suitable for the day.

"May I suggest this turquoise corset dress, my lady?" Eloise questioned, pointing at the dress.

Eness shook her head and reached for a riding outfit. "No thank you, Eloise. This is more to my taste today."

"Are you going riding, my lady?"

"No. I'm just not in the mood for a dress this morning." Eness replied.

Eloise looked puzzled, but nodded either way.

"Of course, my lady."

Eness smiled and went towards the changing screen to get ready. Eloise looked at Eness, following behind her.

"Is something the matter, Eloise?" Eness questioned.

"No, my lady. I just thought to assist you to get ready."

Eness' eyes bulged up in surprise. "There's no need for that, Eloise."

"My lady, a mistress of sin shouldn't have to get ready herself. Surely, your handmaiden in Pyrefall assisted you with dressing."

Eness cleared her throat and shrugged off the words.

"It's fine, Eloise. Please wait in my chamber for me."

Eloise bowed and left.

Eness sighed in relief, glad she could have avoided Eloise glimpsing the markings on her side. She wasn't ready to expose that secret of hers anytime soon, or ever, for that matter.

After a quick bath, and her daily application of her favourite pomegranate lotion and hair oils, she went to change into her outfit of choice.

Her riding breeches consisted of a white shirt, black corset top, and black leather pants.

(Eness' outfit)

She decided to look for her sisters, and located their chambers with the help of Eloise.

None of them were there though. Their newly assigned handmaidens were busy in their chambers, cleaning, or organising the expansive wardrobes.

Gilamora's, Wrenna's, and Sirena's handmaidens told her they went to the mortal realm to carry out their duties of tempting humans to fall to their sin.

While Lucinda's, Grizelle's, and Pranayaa's handmaidens told her they had set out to explore the palace.

She decided to follow their leads and do some exploring herself.

Already having a destination in mind, she asked Eloise for directions, who hesitantly gave them to her.

Eloise was uncertain whether her lady should be seen in the place she desired to go.

'The yard of ruffians', she and the other handmaidens called it.

But Eloise was about to find out that her lady wasn't the typical mistress she appeared to be.

She would find out just how different a sin could be.