21: Unexpected Delivery.

"So, how was your nightly escapade with the emperor, my lady?" Eloise asked, as she brushed Eness' hair

Eness watched her eyes widen from the mirror, and cleared her throat before speaking.

"I don't know what you're talking about, Eloise," she feigned ignorance.

"You don't have to talk about it, my lady. But I saw you in the gardens last night as you hid from that guard. Of course you wouldn't have recognized me in that form," Eloise said, as she brushed stray stands away from Eness' face.

Her eyes quickly shone with realisation.

"You! You were that tar snake!" She turned around to meet Eloise's eyes as she further put the pieces together.

"You're a demon of transformation!"

"And invisibility, my lady," Eloise added.

"But why were you out in the garden?" Questioned Eness.

"I rarely get to use my magic because of my duties. Since you didn't need my assistance last night, and the red moon was out, I decided to take advantage of the free time and spread my wings, or scales in this matter." She said, making Eness smile at the last retort.

"I was curious when I saw you sneaking around in the middle of the night, so I followed you." She paused and quickly finished as Eness narrowed her eyes in suspicion. "To make sure you were okay, my lady. I ended up following you into the woods and saw the emperor walking in shortly after."

Eness let her finish, her face paling in horror over the fact that her handmaiden could have seen her exchange with the emperor.

"Did you see any of our conversation?" Eness asked, as she forced herself to swallow the lump of nerves down throat.

"I assure you, my lady, I didn't. I left immediately when I saw the emperor heading into the woods. I promise I wasn't spying on you." Eloise said defensively.

The sincerity in her eyes was too overwhelming for Eness not to believe her.

"I believe you, Eloise. And thank you. For telling me." Eness said with a smile.

"Of course, my lady. And thank you for your trust." Eloise beamed with joy as she continued to brush Eness' long ginger hair.

Suddenly, a knock is heard from the door.

Both Eness and Eloise turned; then Eloise said, "I'll go get it, my lady."

Eloise opened the door slowly, and was met with a short male servant with rimmed circular glasses, and a sour expression holding a bright bouquet of moon roses.

Eness peeped curiously in her spot at the servant.

"What is your business here, sir?" She asked.

"The emperor had instructed me to deliver these recently grown moon roses to you, my lady."

Eness gasped, and Eloise collected the flowers from the man.

"Now, if you'll excuse me, ladies. I have to attend to urgent matters quickly. Good day."

He said, and left without giving Eness time to utter the question she was about to ask.

Eloise brought the flowers inside, adjusting it near the table, smiling slightly as she did.

She fished out a note from the parcel of flowers and gave it to a still stunned Eness.

She opened the note with uncertain fingers.

"𝚃𝚑𝚎𝚜𝚎 𝚋𝚕𝚘𝚘𝚖𝚎𝚍 𝚕𝚊𝚜𝚝 𝚗𝚒𝚐𝚑𝚝 𝚠𝚒𝚝𝚑 𝚝𝚑𝚎 𝚛𝚒𝚜𝚎 𝚘𝚏 𝚝𝚑𝚎 𝚛𝚎𝚍 𝚖𝚘𝚘𝚗. 𝚃𝚑𝚎𝚢 𝚛𝚎𝚖𝚒𝚗𝚍𝚎𝚍 𝚖𝚎 𝚘𝚏 𝚢𝚘𝚞. 𝙽𝚎𝚠, 𝚟𝚒𝚋𝚛𝚊𝚗𝚝, 𝚊𝚗𝚍 𝚏𝚞𝚕𝚕 𝚘𝚏 𝚕𝚒𝚏𝚎." Eness read aloud, biting her lip as she finished, and found Eloise's eyes glinting with awe as her handmaiden fawned over it.

"That is so sweet. I never knew the emperor could be such a romantic." She said with a slight squeal.

Eness just stared at the words, reading it over and over again, expecting it to be some kind of trick.

She quickly shoved the note back in the bouquet, and bit her lower lip in thought.

𝑊ℎ𝑎𝑡 𝑠𝑜𝑟𝑡 𝑜𝑓 𝑔𝑎𝑚𝑒 𝑎𝑟𝑒 𝑦𝑜𝑢 𝑝𝑙𝑎𝑦𝑖𝑛𝑔, 𝐿𝑢𝑐𝑖𝑒𝑛 𝑀𝑜𝑟𝑛𝑖𝑛𝑔𝑠𝑡𝑎𝑟?

"I wonder what prompted this unexpected delivery," said Eloise.

"Yes, me too," Eness said as she adjusted her fixed dress on her waist before walking toward the door. "And I intend to find out."
__________________________

𝐓𝐡𝐚𝐧𝐤𝐬 𝐟𝐨𝐫 𝐫𝐞𝐚𝐝𝐢𝐧𝐠 𝐭𝐡𝐢𝐬 𝐜𝐡𝐚𝐩𝐭𝐞𝐫, 𝐥𝐨𝐯𝐞𝐥𝐢𝐞𝐬!🕺💗
𝐂𝐨𝐦𝐦𝐞𝐧𝐭 𝐲𝐨𝐮𝐫 𝐭𝐡𝐨𝐮𝐠𝐡𝐭𝐬 𝐝𝐨𝐰𝐧 𝐛𝐞𝐥𝐨𝐰.🫣👀
𝐈 𝐚𝐩𝐩𝐫𝐞𝐜𝐢𝐚𝐭𝐞 𝐭𝐡𝐞 𝐟𝐞𝐞𝐝𝐛𝐚𝐜𝐤😄
𝐎𝐡, 𝐚𝐧𝐝 𝐩𝐥𝐞𝐚𝐬𝐞 𝐯𝐨𝐭𝐞.🙏(𝐢 𝐤𝐧𝐨𝐰 𝐰𝐡𝐞𝐫𝐞 𝐲𝐨𝐮 𝐥𝐢𝐯𝐞😈)
*𝐬𝐦𝐚𝐬𝐡* 𝐬𝐨𝐫𝐫𝐲, 𝐭𝐡𝐚𝐭 𝐰𝐚𝐬 𝐣𝐮𝐬𝐭 𝐦𝐲 𝐜𝐫𝐞𝐩𝐩𝐲 𝐢𝐧𝐧𝐞𝐫 𝐭𝐡𝐨𝐮𝐠𝐡𝐭𝐬.
*𝐒𝐡𝐨𝐨𝐬 𝐚𝐰𝐚𝐲*
𝐋𝐨𝐯𝐞 𝐲'𝐚𝐥𝐥❤️💗
~𝐃𝐞𝐳𝐢 🔮🦋